LAJUR.CO, KENDARI – Itchy throat health problems are usually accompanied by symptoms of a dry cough.
When the throat is itchy, the body naturally tries to clear foreign substances or sources of irritation in the respiratory tract by coughing.
Before listening to some ways to deal with an itchy throat and cough, it’s a good idea to first identify some of the causes.
Causes of itchy throat and cough
Many things and conditions can cause an itchy throat and cough. Launch Medical News Today, here are some of them:
– Mucus from the nose dripping down the throat
– Inflammation of the mucous membranes in the nose
– Sore throat
– Food allergies, air pollution, dust, pool chlorine, cleaning products, animal dander, mites, etc.
– Dry throat when lack of fluids
– Chronic acid reflux disease (gastro esophageal reflux disease or GERD)
– Viral or bacterial infection
Keep in mind, most of the causes of an itchy throat and cough are harmless. Some natural ways can help relieve this health problem.
How to get rid of an itchy throat and cough
How to get rid of an itchy throat and cough needs to be adjusted to the root cause. Launching several sources, here are some ways to overcome that can be tested:
– Drink lots of water so that the throat is not dry
– Consume warm water with lemon juice and a spoonful of honey
– Drink ginger drink
– Avoid caffeinated intake such as coffee, tea, chocolate, soda
– Use an air humidifier so that the air in the room does not dry out
– Plenty of rest
– Perform steam therapy by inhaling steam from hot water that has been poured into a basin or bowl, taking a warm bath with a shower, or taking a warm bath
– Gargle with a glass of warm water with a teaspoon of salt
– Suck lozenges; choose sugar-free and contain the active ingredient menthol or eucalyptus
– Take medicine according to the root cause of the disease; For example, anti-allergic drugs for an itchy throat related to allergies, anti-inflammatory drugs for an itchy throat due to infection, or stomach acid-lowering drugs
Some of the natural ways to deal with an itchy throat and cough above can usually help relieve symptoms of the disease.
When to be aware of an itchy throat and cough
You need to consult a doctor if the itchy throat and cough lasts more than three weeks.
In addition, try asking your doctor if your throat is itchy and coughing with fever, swollen glands in your neck, fever, difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath, coughing up blood, drastic weight loss, or severe symptoms. Adm