On Wednesday, shortly before 2 p.m., the canton of Bern announced to the public: “In view of the rapidly increasing number of coronavirus cases in northern Italy and the first confirmed case in Switzerland, the canton of Bern is also increasingly ready. The authorities and the healthcare system have intensified the precautionary measures and are prepared for the appearance of the new corona virus. »
In concrete terms, this means that the canton of Bern is trying to create places to quarantine those affected. The authorities have provided two apartments in the buildings of the former youth center in Prêles. In an emergency, 24 people can be accommodated and looked after there. “The apartments are set up so that you can stay on site for a good two weeks,” says spokesman Gundekar Giebel.
But not all suspected cases must go to the Bernese Jura: “The cantonal medical office aims to ensure that people without disease signs can spend 14 days in quarantine if possible at home.” However, this only applies to people who live in individual households. If a suspect becomes infected, the patient is taken to a Bern hospital, where he is treated for the corona virus.
So far all tests negative
So far, according to Giebel, there are no infected people in the canton of Bern and no people in quarantine – “all tests that have been evaluated in the canton of Bern so far have been negative.” Some are still pending at the moment, “these people are now required not to move too much,” said Giebel.
The canton also calls on its population to counteract the corona virus on their own: “The population can make a significant contribution to their own protection by implementing the hygiene measures that are also common in the case of flu,” says a message.
Because the situation can change continuously, the cantonal medical office recommends that you get regular information on the BAG website: (Www.bag.admin.ch/2019-ncov),