Casino Rama Resort reopened at 6:00 pm Wednesday after being evacuated a few hours earlier following an anonymous bomb threat.
“We went back to work as usual,” said Rob Mitchell, director of communications and public affairs for Gateway Casinos and Entertainment Limited.
“We have been given everything clear by the OPP. They have made a thorough inspection of all our facilities: the game room, the hotel, our administrative operations, our administrative offices.”
In a statement on Wednesday, Gateway Casinos and Entertainment Ltd. stated that the company was informed of the threat that was called to the Orillia OPP around 14:00. According to the statement, the OPP and the Rama police were on the scene.
Mitchell told Global News that the entire site had been evacuated and closed before it was reopened on Wednesday evening. When the Casino Rama Resort was evacuated, Mitchell said that most of the employees were sent home, with the exception of a few senior employees who remained on the spot to work with the police during their investigation.
“[There’s] a community center in front of the resort that was made available to guests who could go there and wait for the result, “said Mitchell.
“Some of our guests chose to wait and see what would happen, and had room in the First Nations facility across the street from the casino.”
Mitchell said he apologizes for the inconvenience the accident may have caused.
“It was beyond our control, but everything worked out for the best and we are very happy with our staff and the patience of our guests,” he added.
The property is the only First Nations casino resort in Ontario and is operated by Gateway Casinos and Entertainment Limited. Casino Rama Resort is known for hosting numerous sporting, entertainment and television events.
WATCH: Customer information was stolen after Casino Rama was targeted in an alleged cyber attack (2016)
Customer information stolen after Casino Rama was targeted in an alleged cyber attack
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.