Home » News » Coronavirus: 1st death in the county of L.A .; WHO calls the epidemic pandemic

Coronavirus: 1st death in the county of L.A .; WHO calls the epidemic pandemic

The global coronavirus crisis entered a new phase on Wednesday, when a cascade of restrictions, cancellations and revelations worked to further improve everyday life, with further economic ramifications expected on Thursday.

The NBA said Wednesday that it will suspend its season until further notice after a player has tested positive for the new coronavirus. The announcement came less than an hour after President Trump imposed new travel restrictions, preventing most travelers from Europe from entering the country for a 30-day period starting on Friday.

This was followed by Governor Gavin Newsom’s directive that large gatherings should be canceled across California due to the risk of infections spreading. Similar orders had come from governors in Washington and New York, which had been hit hard by a relatively large number of COVID-19 cases.

Trump’s new travel restrictions exclude the UK and some other European nations and make other exceptions for healthy Americans.

“The European Union has not taken the same precautions” as the United States in blocking travel from China, he said, arguing that the US clusters of the disease caused by the virus were “seeded by travelers from Europe”.

The announcement by the NBA has stunned the world of sport and will surely add to the economic fallout caused by the coronavirus epidemic, a problem that Trump has addressed in his television address.

Trump said he is commissioning the Small Business Administration to provide new low-interest loans for some epidemic-affected businesses and has asked Congress to approve $ 50 billion in additional funding for this purpose. He also asked Congress again to approve the wage tax relief, a proposal that neither side of Capitol Hill has favored.

“We are in a critical time in the fight against the virus,” he said, while claiming that the risk for most Americans remains low.

The travel ban applies to foreign nationals traveling from 26 European countries and does not affect the travel of U.S. citizens, permanent residents or immediate family members of U.S. citizens, according to a statement by the National Security Department. It applies to any foreign citizen who has been in those European countries in the 14 days prior to their expected arrival in the United States and does not apply to exchanges.

Trump did not declare a national emergency, as some had suggested that he might have clashed with his previous and repeated requests for calm.

“The virus will have no chance against us” if Americans take precautions, he said, downplaying the alarming warnings of his public health officials stating that the spread of the virus is inevitable.

Later in the evening, the U.S. Department of State issued an opinion urging citizens to reconsider travel abroad because of the virus and the potential that other countries could unexpectedly limit mobility.

Double travel announcements come as the coronavirus balance continues to rise in California, particularly in the Bay Area, where nearly 100 cases have been confirmed. But southern California is also witnessing the spread of the virus, which affects churches, suburbs of Los Angeles and celebrities.

On Wednesday, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed its first coronavirus death and nine new cases, bringing the county total to 29, including four cases in Long Beach and one new case in Pasadena. A couple of famous Southern California residents, actors Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson, have announced that they have tested positive for the virus in Australia and have been isolated in a hospital.

The first L.A. County coronavirus death It was a woman over the age of 60 who had underlying health problems, said Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the county health department. The patient was not a Los Angeles County resident but had been visiting after a long trip in the past month, including a long stay in South Korea.

“Shortly after being hospitalized, she unfortunately passed away,” said Ferrer.

Ferrer said one of the new cases included the second instance of the county community’s spread. That individual is hospitalized.

Three people are family contacts of a Los Angeles County resident previously confirmed to have the virus. One of these people is currently hospitalized.

To date, the county public health laboratory has completed 72 tests for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. That number does not include those performed by commercial laboratories.

Elsewhere in Southern California, Pasadena confirmed her first case of the coronavirus novel in one resident, Ventura County the second, Orange County the sixth and Riverside County the seventh. In Beverly Hills, a church announced that its rector had fallen ill with the virus.

While the outbreak continued to spread rapidly around the world, the World Health Organization defined the outbreak as a pandemic for the first time.

“This is the first pandemic caused by a coronavirus,” said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. “We rang the alarm bell loud and clear.”

Coronaviruses typically cause the common cold, but the deadly SARS and MERS diseases have also been caused by coronaviruses. Tedros stressed that countries could still take aggressive measures to counter the spread of the new coronavirus and said they believed that joint action could effectively combat the spread of the disease.

The classification of the pandemic does not change WHO’s strategy to slow the outbreak nor should it affect the way countries are dealing with cases, said Tedros.

“There has been so much attention on one word, and let me give you some other words that matter a lot more and are much more usable,” said Tedros. “These are prevention, preparation, public health, political leadership and, above all, people…. We are in this together to do the right things calmly and protect the citizens of the world “.

Unlike a public health emergency – which is declared on the basis of specific international law criteria – there is no official WHO process that determines whether the organization refers to a global outbreak such as a pandemic. Instead, the heightened rhetoric simply reflects the worsening trends that officials have long been observing, officials said.

On Wednesday, the state released guidelines on how to prepare and protect Californian homeless people and service providers from the virus, including ensuring that enough health and personal protection devices are available, identifying areas to isolate people suffering from symptoms. mild and looking for more people vulnerable to the disease.

In Northern California, an elderly patient died in an assisted living facility of the new coronavirus, triggering fear of an outbreak among other residents and renewing concerns about the state availability of test kits. The patient, in her 90s, was Sacramento County’s first fatality due to COVID-19, officials announced Tuesday.

The woman was among about 140 patients at the Elk Grove facility, the same suburb where all public schools were closed this week after two members of a family with students on multiple campuses tested positive for coronavirus. On Tuesday, the district announced that a school-age student in that family had also proven positive.

Carlton Senior lives in Elk Grove, California.

A Carlton Senior Living resident in Elk Grove, California died of COVID-19.

(Daniel Kim / Sacramento Bee)

Sacramento County Director of Health Services, Dr Peter Beilenson, said Tuesday that all patients in the nursing home would be tested for the virus, but that effort was delayed by a lack of test kits. He said the county had access to only 20 tests per day and had to ration those between possible cases in the community and medical professionals who could have been exposed.

“It was very frustrating because we were stuck for a couple of weeks with only 20 tests a day,” said Beilenson.

The city of Alameda said on Wednesday that a firefighter tested positive for the virus and Stanislaus County confirmed its first two positive cases.

Seventeen others in Stanislaus County are awaiting results, officials said.

Officials continued to take precautionary measures in an attempt to curb the spread of the disease.

An increasing number of colleges and universities, recently Cal State Long Beach, Cal State L.A. and Pepperdine suspended lessons in person in favor of online education. Stanford University announced two more coronavirus cases on its campus on Wednesday, making them a total of three for school.

San Francisco has announced a ban on group events of 1,000 or more people.

“We know this order is disruptive, but it is an important step in supporting public health,” said Mayor London Breed, noting that city officials were following the advice of state officials.

In San Mateo County, officials issued a legal order that prohibited unauthorized visitors and non-essential staff from accessing licensed qualified nursing facilities, which includes family members.

The county has 15 of 105 Bay Area COVID-19 patients.

Officials from other states have also taken action.

Washington state has banned meetings of 250 or more as cases continue to rise in the suburbs of Seattle, reaching a death toll of over 30.

In Texas, where more than 20 cases have been confirmed, local officials canceled the Houston Livestock Show and the Rodeo because of concerns about the spread of the virus. It is the first time that the indoor rodeo – declared the largest in the world – has been canceled since 1932.

The National Collegiate Athletic Assn. He also announced that his upcoming men’s and women’s basketball tournaments will be played before “just essential staff and limited family presence.”

As of Wednesday afternoon, California had 177 confirmed cases of coronavirus. The United States has passed 1,300 coronavirus cases, most of them in Washington state, New York and California.

Governor Gavin Newsom said over 1,075 Californians have been tested for coronavirus in 18 laboratories across the state. The state was monitoring another 10,300 people who had returned to California on international flights and could have been exposed, he said. Many others who have interacted with infected people are advised to monitor and quarantine themselves at home.

The largest outbreak of the disease is in Santa Clara county, where more than 40 cases have been confirmed.

Barbara Ferrer is director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

Barbara Ferrer is director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

(Myung J. Chun / Los Angeles Times)

Public health officials in the Placer and Yolo counties, meanwhile, have announced the move from trying to contain the virus to accepting that it is spreading too rapidly for widespread quarantine measures. Seven people in Placer County tested positive, including a Rocklin man who died last week. Yolo County has a confirmed case.

According to new recommendations in the Placer and Yolo counties, which will go into effect until March 31, people who have come into contact with a confirmed or suspected case of coronavirus will no longer need to be quarantined for 14 days. Instead, people with cold-like symptoms, regardless of whether they have coronavirus or flu, are asked to self-quarantine and manage their symptoms with over-the-counter drugs.

The counties also said that although they had tests for COVID-19, they would be reserved for people with more severe symptoms, as mild symptoms are treated the same way regardless of diagnosis. The counties urged businesses to allow employees to telework where possible and to postpone or cancel major events.

Placer County Public Health Officer Aimee Sisson answers a question during a press conference in Auburn.

Placer County Public Health Officer Aimee Sisson at a press conference in Auburn, California.

(Rich Pedroncelli / Associated Press)

Placer County Director of Public Health Aimee Sisson said that the county will continue to track the traces of those who have come into contact with the virus, but that it will only verify high-risk situations, such as a person who has visited a home. of treatment or came into contact with an immunocompromised individual. A change of strategy is needed, she and other health officials said.

If the counties continue to quarantine health workers for potential exposure, he said, “there would be no health workers left.”

Times staff writers Emily Baumgaertner, Taryn Luna, Melody Gutierrez, Tony Barboza, Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Ruben Vives, Noah Bierman and Rong-Gong Lin II contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment