Home » Health » Coronavirus Australia: Sydney cluster investigated school closings in New South Wales and Victoria

Coronavirus Australia: Sydney cluster investigated school closings in New South Wales and Victoria

The “new normal” of the global coronavirus epidemic is starting to bite in Sydney, with schools about to close temporarily and fear of lasting economic damage.

Two 10-year-old students from St Patrick’s Marist College in Dundas and a 7-year-old student from Willoughby Girls High School were confirmed with coronavirus on Monday.

The fathers of the two St. Patrick’s students are both members of the Defense Force staff and previously tested positive for the infection.

NSW authorities are now investigating a coronavirus group focused on Ryde Hospital, the Defense Force and the elderly facility at Dorothy Henderson Lodge.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard has warned that schools will close
Health Minister Brad Hazzard warned that school closure will be the “new normal” Credit: AAP

St Patrick’s Marist College and Willoughby Girls High School will be closed on Tuesday as a precautionary measure.

“This is probably the new rule,” said Health Minister Brad Hazzard on Monday afternoon.

“We have now established a clear orthodoxy. If it is found that a child or staff member or any other person within a school has the COVID-19 virus, then it will actually take a breather and a day out will be the immediate requirement. “

Stephen Walters, chief economist of NSW, says that a state recession is not inevitable but is currently a risk.

He says that tourism and education are two sectors that are likely to feel the pinch of the epidemic.

There are 47 confirmed cases in the state. Two residents in a Sydney nursing home died of the virus.

Medical personnel in protective clothing move a coronavirus infected patient from an ambulance to the hospital. Photo of the file.
Medical personnel in protective clothing move a coronavirus infected patient from an ambulance to the hospital. Photo of the file. Credit: Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images

NSW Health said 476 cases were investigated Monday evening and nearly 8,000 people were tested and cleared of the infection.

In Melbourne, an elite private school in the eastern suburbs became the first in Victoria to close its doors on the coronavirus.

Kew’s Carey Baptist Grammar School will be closed to staff and students on Tuesday after an adult member of its community has developed symptoms consistent with COVID-19.

“Our community’s health and safety is our first priority,” wrote principal Jonathan Walter in an email sent to parents on Monday evening as viewed by AAP.

For more information on 7NEWS.com.au

“Carey has been in contact with both the Department of Health and the Department of Education to ensure the availability of the latest information and advice.

“Based on this advice, Carey made the decision to close the whole school for Tuesday March 10th as we evaluate the situation.”

The person had been in direct contact with someone who confirmed they had coronavirus and is being tested, said Walter.

.

Leave a Comment