What is coronavirus and what should I do if I have symptoms?
A repatriation flight carrying 32 British and Europeans from the coronavirus-infected Diamond Princess cruise ship landed Saturday in the UK, amid growing fears for the well-being of some British passengers left in Japan.
The peak of South Korea in cases leads the president to raise the alert level to the “maximum”
Coronavirus: cities in northern Italy close schools and businesses
Welcome to this morning’s live coronavirus blog. I’ll be here to give you updates on the latest news later in the day.
A summary of Sunday’s news:
- Japan confirmed that a woman who turned negative and left the Diamond Princess cruise ship affected by the coronavirus subsequently tested positive, raising further questions about the effectiveness of the quarantine measures.
- A dozen cities in northern Italy were in fact blocked on Saturday after the death of two people infected with the coronavirus from China and a growing group of cases without direct links to the origin of the outbreak abroad.
- South Korean President Moon Jae-in placed the country on the highest possible alert on Sunday in its fight against coronavirus. The measure authorizes the government to block cities and take other radical measures to contain the epidemic.
- Russia has denied allegations of spreading misinformation about the new coronavirus outbreak. U.S. officials said that accounts linked to Russia made unfounded claims on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram through thousands of profiles according to which the United States started the epidemic.
- Nearly a third (31%) of UK consumers will consider avoiding travel abroad if the coronavirus epidemic continues, according to new research. The consultancy Retail Economics, which commissioned the survey of over 2,000 people, has calculated that this could result in the suspension of £ 17 billion of holiday expenses.
- As dozens of internally displaced people from a coronavirus-affected cruise ship begin their two-week quarantine in the UK, over 100 others rescued from China are expected to be released from solitary confinement.