BOSTON – A person who visited the Encore Boston Harbor casino last week subsequently tested positive for COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission said Thursday.
The commission said it is working with the owner of Encore Wynn Resorts and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to “identify the facts, evaluate the situation and determine the next steps.”
The person visited Everett’s casino on March 5 and had no symptoms at the time, the commission said in a press release. They stayed there for about an hour and had contact with seven other people, the commission said. Encore informed the sects and they self-quarantined, the commission said.
“DPH informed that the risk of exposure to COVID-19 by people who came into contact with this person in Encore is minimal,” said the commission.
The state agency recommended that Encore continue to improve sanitation practices, the commission said.
“The MGC is making every effort to maintain a healthy and safe working environment by closely following the guidelines issued by federal, state and public health officials,” said the press release. “As a reminder, important information is available from DPH and CDC.”
In Thursday’s statement on the Encore website, CEO Matt Maddox said that Wynn Resorts would cancel all large entertainment gatherings starting this weekend, including buffets, discos and theaters in its Boston and Las Vegas casinos.
Casinos will also use “non-invasive thermal imaging cameras” at their entrances to shield customers who may have a fever, he said. In addition, “they will create an adequate distance” between customers in restaurants and game offers.
“We will continue to pay our full-time employees working in these spaces,” said Maddox. “We will monitor the situation to determine any additional actions that may be needed.”