- Buyers urged to avoid storing goods
- Lifting the veil of secrecy over Hillsong
Australian television icon Richard Wilkins tested positive for the deadly coronavirus.
The Weekend today the guest, who disappeared from the screens this weekend, contracted the virus after meeting Rita Wilson while he was in Sydney.
The singer-actress self-isolated with her husband, Tom Hanks, after being positive for the infection on Thursday.
He made a guest appearance Extra today and at the Sydney Opera House when he performed on March 7th.
Radio presenter Ben Fordham confirmed that Wilkins tested positive on Twitter last Sunday.
He published: “Breaking – Big love to @RichardWilkins, which tested positive for coronavirus.”
Confirmation of his infection comes when the virus states the death of two other people in Australia: two elderly women, aged between 90 and 77, who died in New South Wales.
NSW Health confirmed the deaths on Sunday, bringing the nation’s death toll to five.
“A 90-year-old woman residing in Dorothy Henderson Lodge – died (Saturday),” said a spokeswoman.
“Tests confirmed that he had COVID-19.”
It is understood that the other woman, from Noosaville on the Sunshine Coast, died on Friday in a Sydney hospital.
Health authorities believe he contracted coronavirus from his daughter who had returned from San Francisco two weeks earlier and was not known at the time that both women had COVID-19.
The woman had been on a flight to Sydney on March 13 when her condition deteriorated significantly.
She was taken to the hospital immediately after landing but was not revived.
“The woman had recently arrived in Sydney and tests confirmed that the woman had COVID-19,” said the spokesperson.
NSW Health is working with state health authorities to trace the close contacts of the deceased woman.
“Our condolences are with the family and friends of both women at the moment.”
NEW COLORS, WOOLIES LIMITS FOR BUYERS
The shortage between Coles and Woolworths nationwide is prompting supermarket giants to introduce new restrictions to ensure more customers have access to goods.
Coles has announced that Sunday shoppers will now be able to purchase only two packs of pasta, flour, rice, paper towels, handkerchiefs, hand sanitizer and mince – including beef, pork, lamb, chicken and turkey – for shop “to allow everyone the opportunity to buy basic items”.
Its new restrictions follow the limits imposed on purchases of toilet paper last week after panic shoppers left the shelves empty nationwide.
As the situation around Coronavirus continues to develop, we want to make sure you have the latest information on …
Posted by Coles Saturday 14 March 2020
“Toilet paper remains limited to 1 package per customer. There may also be additional limits for certain items in each store, for more information visit the local Coles, “said Coles on his website.
“We will also temporarily suspend our change of mindset policy to discourage excessive purchases.”
Woolworths has taken a more restrictive position, limiting purchases of rice, paper towels, napkins and wipes to one per shop per customer.
However, when it comes to dry pasta, flour, handkerchiefs and hand sanitizer, customers will be able to purchase two at a time.
“We have temporarily suspended our” Pickup “and” Deliver Now “online services due to temporary shortages on a number of items and to allow our teams to focus on customer service in the store,” reads the Woolworths website.
“These new additions will help ensure that more of our customers have access to essential goods in the face of unprecedented demand for certain products.
“Woolworths encourages customers to continue purchasing only what they need.”
QANTAS, JETSTAR OFFERS RESERVATION CANCELLATIONS
Customers booked on Qantas and Jetstar flights will be able to cancel their bookings in exchange for travel credit following the coronavirus epidemic.
On Sunday, the Qantas group announced that customers with new and existing reservations on domestic and international flights would have the option to cancel and receive travel credit.
“Qantas and Jetstar have introduced greater flexibility for customers who wish to change their travel plans, following the increase in travel restrictions implemented by various governments around the world due to the changing coronavirus situation,” he said. stated the Qantas Group in a note.
The changes are available for Qantas, Jetstar and QantasLink flights and apply until March 31 for travel until May 31.
CHINA CLOSES CLOSED ROADS, PUBLIC TRANSPORT
Life in China is returning to normal as the coronavirus epidemic spreads globally, state media report.
According to Xinhua, 1117 out of 1119 nationally closed highway entrances and exits were reopened over the weekend, along with 549 blocked national, provincial, national and city roads.
Most health and quarantine stations – 11.11198 of 12.028 – have also been removed.
A total of 28 provinces resumed inter-provincial road passenger transport on March 1 and 126 prefecture-level cities and 192 county-level cities resumed public ground transport operations.
According to Xinhua, of the 41 cities that have opened urban rail transport, 36 cities normally manage rail transport.
These cities include Beijing, Shanghai, Canton and Shenzen.
78 million migrant workers also returned to work.
THE NEW AUSTRALIAN MEASURES TO STOP THE CORONAVIRUS
China’s update comes when Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison bans international cruise ships from arriving in the nation’s ports for 30 days and introduces a series of social removal measures.
Even travelers to Australia from abroad must now self-isolate for two weeks.
Morrison said the measures are part of the “targeted action phase”.
“To help keep up with this curve. We will impose a mandatory universal self-isolation obligation on all international arrivals in Australia starting at midnight tonight, “he said on Sunday.
“The Australian government will prohibit cruise ships from foreign ports from arriving at Australian ports after the first 30 days and which will continue on an ongoing basis.
“The national cabinet also approved the HPCC board to introduce additional social removal measures.”
Mass meetings of over 500 people will be banned, while previously the government had only recommended that they would not take place.
This will happen on Monday, but does not apply to schools, workplaces, universities, supermarkets or public transport.
We also recommend rigorous social removal measures to all, such as being 1.5 m away from people, not shaking hands and limiting close interactions.
Schools and universities will remain open for the time being, as this is one of the key issues that the new national cabinet will consider when it meets Tuesday evening.
The cabinet will also consider changes to the aged care visit, the problems remote communities face to further limit meetings.
Morrison said the government is planning that coronavirus will impact the country for six months and that slowing down the transmission speed is a top priority.
MORE ON CORONAVIRUS
Because school closings may not block the virus
Should I still go on vacation in a coronavirus pandemic?
“Second wave” fears the virus which causes new delays in the import
“By slowing down the spread, the bed is freed,” Morrison said.
“This is what happens when you do it well.”
Morrison echoed a comment that Australian chief medical officer Brendan Murphy told the media last Sunday.
He said Australians who have not recently returned from abroad or have been in contact with a coronavirus case can still shake hands, go on public transportation or visit the cinema. However, the board is likely to change.
Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy added that health officials do not suggest that people should stop using public transportation at the moment.
Sunday’s meeting came when the number of virus cases rose to over 300 in Australia, with the death toll remaining at three.
More than 150,000 people have been infected with COVID-19 worldwide, with over 5600 deaths.
POSITIVE CREW QANTAS MEMBER TEST FOR VIRUS
Health authorities are trying to contact passengers who were on a flight from the UK with a Qantas flight attendant who has tested positive for coronavirus.
A Qantas International crew member is in isolation after testing positive for COVID-19 after returning from abroad.
The crew member recently flew from the UK to Australia as a passenger and asked for medical attention after experiencing mild symptoms.
Qantas said in a statement that Sunday’s health authorities will contact those seats in the immediate vicinity of the flight, as was the standard procedure for all confirmed Coronavirus notifications.
We understand that many people’s travel plans have been influenced by the spread of Coronavirus and various government travel restrictions.
This situation is unprecedented, evolving and stimulating for all involved.
– Qantas (@Qantas) March 15, 2020
Qantas stated that the team member was not symptomatic when operating as a crew on any Qantas flight.
The announcement comes when the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Queensland rises to 61, a public health emergency has been reported in South Australia and six campus locations on the University of Sydney are being cleaned intensively after a student is coronavirus has been diagnosed.
NSW Health and the university released a joint statement on Sunday confirming that he was in the hospital “recovering and doing well” after feeling bad and tested positively for COVID-19 at the weekend.
“NSW Health and the University of Sydney identified around 80 people who were in close contact with the student while on campus, who were asked to self-isolate for 14 days,” the note says.
“Staff and students are asked to be alert for COVID-19 symptoms which include fever, cough, runny nose or shortness of breath and telephone in front of their family doctor.”
In the past 24 hours, the number of confirmed cases in New South Wales has increased by 22, bringing the total number of infected people in the state to 134.
On Sunday, the SA total increased by one to 20 confirmed cases; Victoria rose from 8 to 58, with eight recovering, and Tasmania suspended all cruise ship visits to its ports after the island state registered its sixth coronavirus case.
In WA, there have been 18 confirmed cases of coronavirus, 5424 negative tests and one death from the virus.
Thousands of Australians to work from home
Thousands of Australians will be invited to work from home for the first time this week in what is likely to be the largest test on the national broadband network so far.
But telecommunications experts warn that some workers would be much better off than others and urged NBN Co and Government to “press the switch” at higher speeds for all users during the coronavirus crisis.
Several companies in Australia, including Telstra, Dropbox and Twitter, will not only offer the opportunity to work from home, but will give it to all employees who can work off-site this week.
On Sunday there was news that the online portal of Deakin University in Melbourne was down due to the influx of users.
Telstra spokesman Alex Badenoch said the move, which will affect more than 20,000 staff members, was taken as a precaution rather than a reaction to a COVID-19 infection.
“This unprecedented situation requires decisive action and it is important that we are flexible and ready to adapt to this changing situation,” he said.
“Moving on with things now means that we will be ready if the problem escalates quickly.”
Dr Kathryn Snow, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the University of Melbourne, praised initiatives to temporarily change the workforce, stating that “these types of social exclusion measures” have helped to contain infections in other countries.
But veteran telecommunications analyst Paul Budde has warned that he has so many people working from home, participating in video conferencing and watching life flows would put “further stress” on NBN in what could be his biggest test.
He predicted that users of NBN fiber optics would be fine, but those who use fixed HFC, copper, satellite and wireless NBN connections may suffer from lower speeds due to congestion and downtime.
“Some parts of the network will be better than others,” he said.
“People who have been connected to the NBN and have not encountered any problems will have the best chance of maintaining a good quality service.
“Those who fought on fiber optic networks could see things get worse if there are significant increases in traffic in their area.”
Budde said that the flood of new remote workers would also highlight problems with the NBN’s pricing structure, where connections were artificially slowed down according to how much users were willing to pay, and called on the Morrison government and NBN Co to provide higher speeds for the duration of the health emergency.
“In a crisis like this, all services should be available at least 50 megabits per second,” he said.
“They can do it with the touch of a switch.
“They can make the network cheaper during a crisis situation that could last two or three months. This would also give us an even better test of the network.”
Professor Reg Coutts, president of the telecommunications agency TelSoc, said that this week’s NBN test, as well as new requests for teleassistance during the coronavirus pandemic, should highlight the need to plan infrastructure updates.
“Eventually, the NBN’s obsolete technology will have to be replaced right through the network,” he said.
“Given the needs of the medical profession right now, it would make sense for the government to assign NBN Co to make doctors, health centers and hospitals its top priority for a technological upgrade.”
Budde also warned that having so many office workers and students working from home for the first time could also uncover unexpected problems for businesses and universities.
“There will be no time for proper evaluation, training and improvement,” he said.
“It will be interesting to see what the fallout of many misadventures will be once the virus retreats.”
EUROPEAN ACTION TO STOP CORONAVIRUS
Spain has been blocked, France has joined some parts of Germany in the closure of restaurants, cafes and cinemas and Norway has closed its airports.
Europe has taken unprecedented measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus after it has become the epicenter of the pandemic.
The United States extended the ban on travel to Europe to include the United Kingdom and Ireland, and France began wiping out business closings across the county on Sunday.
Northern Ireland was considering closing schools for 16 weeks, while Britain was slammed for herd immunity plan – effectively hoping that 60% of the population will get the virus to prevent it from returning to school. British winter.
But the Italians who were forced to be locked up for a week have become creative with ways to entertain themselves, with bursts of dance parties on the balcony and phone calls on the roof.
However, the country’s hospitals are in crisis, with only 20 ICU beds in the region of Lombardy, hit hard, according to the newspaper La Repubblica, and the death toll rose from 175 to 1441 on Sunday.
The 60 million people in Italy are actually forced home until at least April, while the country frantically tries to slow down its devastating spread of the coronavirus.
French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe announced the closure of restaurants, cafés and non-essential activities on Sunday from 9 AEDT on Sunday, when the country’s death toll hit 91 out of 4500 cases.
“I decided to close all the non-essential locations, in particular cafes, restaurants, cinemas, discos and shops. We must absolutely limit our movements, “he said.
Meanwhile, Syria, which has had no reported cases, has postponed elections in the war-torn country.
Spain will follow Italy’s example, blocking the whole country from 22:00 AEDT on Sunday for 15 days as the country’s confirmed cases exceed 10,000, with 193 people dead.
Some flights from the UK to Spain were shot in mid-air as non-essential travel was strongly discouraged.
Qatar and Dubai were planning to stop issuing visas, while Jordan canceled all international flights.
MORE ON CORONAVIRUS
How TAFE helps students spread the virus
Because school closings may not block the virus
“30-day germ-free” childcare as discussions about arrest emerge
Norway has announced that it will close its airports from 22:00 AEDT on Sunday, while Greece has closed schools and shops and has banned all flights from Italy until 23 March.
Berlin and Cologne have closed bars, shops and restaurants, with each regional area in Germany responsible for making decisions about its restrictions.
The Italians’ videos show the residents all standing on their balconies and celebrating together.
In a viral video of Naples in southern Italy, a man is seen walking through his neighborhood, showing dozens of people dancing on the roofs and balconies to a DJ who turns “I can’t take my eyes off” from his balcony.
Just above the DJ, an old man still in his dressing gown played along with his guitar.
Despite being blocked inside, the neighborhoods come alive while the Italians are forced to stay inside, choosing instead to use their balconies as places to socialize.
In another video from Rome, dozens of people are standing on the balcony and applauding for the work that resonates through the neighborhood.
“I have lived in this neighborhood for 1.5 years, this is the liveliest I have ever seen on this street,” said Yemi Adeyeye.
Doctors and nurses were also praised with Italians across the country who gave their standing ovations to everyone who walked around.
Italy introduced further repressions this week, including the closure of all stores except supermarkets and pharmacies.
There have been long lines for supermarkets, with customers allowed to enter only one at a time.
The UK has seen another huge jump in its coronavirus cases to 1,140 people. Ten more people died in 24 hours, bringing the UK death toll to 21.
The government’s chief medical adviser said the patients were all in “risk” groups across England.
The UK continues to be slammed for its response to the coronavirus while other countries in Europe are closing schools and universities in an attempt to slow down the spread.
In an open letter sent to the British government, a group of 198 academics in mathematics and science called for a greater response to the coronavirus.
“At this point, looking for” herd immunity “doesn’t seem like a viable option, as this will put the national health service at an even higher level of stress, risking many more lives than necessary,” reads the letter.