Home » Sport » Coronavirus update: Juventus against postponed Milan and Barcelona against Napoli Clash in doubt

Coronavirus update: Juventus against postponed Milan and Barcelona against Napoli Clash in doubt

The coronavirus epidemic continues to wreak havoc on football, with the Coppa Italia semi-final against Milan the last game to be postponed. The match between Barcelona’s Champions League and Napoli at the end of this month is also likely to be reorganized.

It was reported earlier this week that Juve’s game would go on, albeit with fan restrictions in place. However, the club announced Tuesday evening that the equipment would be deferred under directives issued by the Turin state government.

SSC Napoli - FC Barcelona - UEFA Champions League round of 32: first leg

The postponement comes after a series of cancellations in Serie A recently, while Italy tries to stop the spread of the disease. The government is also considering stopping all football for 30 days while the threat is contained.

Even Napoli’s trip to Camp Nou risks being postponed. According to Spain Minister of Health Salvador Illa, Valencia’s game against Atalanta next Tuesday and Getafe’s clash in the Europa League Inter March 19 may in the same way face cancellation.

These professional sporting competition events, where a high presence of fans from coronavirus-prone areas is expected, the recommendation is that they should be held behind closed doors, “said Illa (via Evening standard).

While at the moment there is no talk of postponing the games in England and Scotland, governing bodies in both countries I encouraged clubs to take other preventive measures. Scottish footballers, managers and referees were told not to shake hands during games after a case of illness had been reported in the Tayside region.

Suwon Samsung Bluewings - Vissel Kobe - AFC Champions League: Group G

Some leagues and clubs in England have also introduced this protocol. Newcastle are believed to have banned players from shaking hands while the Wessex League – the ninth row in English football – similarly banned the formality.

Although preventative measures have been implemented across the continent, this summer’s European championship remains in serious doubt.

“We are in the waiting phase” UEFA executive committee member Michele Uva said (via TalkSport).

“We are monitoring country by country and football must follow the orders of individual countries. The sports course will only be closed if the situation worsens. “


For more information from Matt O’Connor-Simpson, follow him chirping!

Leave a Comment