On Saturday night, Ana Marcelo, 23, an agroindustrial engineer from Estelí, was crowned Miss Nicaragua in front of a limited audience (two people per contestant safely spaced) plus a production team of 85 people. The masks were off the contestants, but the judges wore them and they were separated at a safe distance.
There were portable stations for hand washing and doctors taking temperatures.
Celebertti, herself a former local beauty queen, said they had to “reinvent themselves” to get there. The new coronavirus arrived in March a few days after the contestants had been selected. It was delayed from May to August to develop protocols that would allow them to compete safely.
“We had tests and classes through Zoom, supervised by me from home,” said Celebertti. “The girls had a speech coach, an image consultant, and online stylists who taught them how to do their own hair and makeup. There was no other option, “she said.
In July, they had their first in-person practices, they walked the runway in masks. “Every session was supervised by doctors and no one got infected,” he said.
Unlike the massive religious and sporting events allowed and even promoted by the government during the pandemic, the pageant decided to dispense with the usual boisterous audience that cheered its support for women.
“Some criticized me for doing this event, but we were very careful to do it,” said Celebertti. “The truth is that people need to see good news, be entertained.”