Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018
World

Erdogan says audio of Khashoggi killing has been given to U.S., Saudis, Europeans

An audio recording tracking the dying moments of journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul has been shared with Saudi Arabia, Britain, France and Germany in addition to the United States, the leader of Turkey said Saturday.

"We gave it to Saudi Arabia," President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said at the Ankara airport before departing for Paris for commemorations to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. "We gave it to America. To the Germans, English, French, we gave it to all of them. "

It was the first time that Erdogan has made a statement about the existence of an audience that has been reported to have been reported by Khashoggi, a contributor to the Washington post World Opinions section, was killed by a 15-member consulate on Oct. 2.

Wider access to the recording of the tragedy in Saudi Arabia in response to Khashoggi's killing.

Although Erdogan said he "gave" the tapes to those countries, it was unclear whether he had given it to them.

A senior German official said that the head of the Federal Intelligence Service received a briefing and listened to the audio recording during a trip to Ankara. "The recording was very convincing," the official said.

The White House and Elysee Palace did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The British Foreign Office said it was "not confirming or denying" Erdogan's comments.

U.S. officials have said that CIA Director Gina Haspel listened to the recording during a trip to Turkey last month.

Two Turkish officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic, said the audio makes clear that Khashoggi suffered a drawn-out death. He is choked for about seven minutes before he dies, they said.

One said he had been told directly by Erdogan that the killers took 7.5 minutes to choke Khashoggi. The other said he had been briefed by someone who had listened to the recording. Neither said they had heard the tape themselves.

Turkey has not said how to obtain a recording from inside the consulate. Wiretapping of foreign missions of the Vienna Convention. Turkish newspapers had run stories on how to be made by Khashoggi's Apple watch, a scenario that was made with skepticism by experts.

Saudi Arabia now acknowledges that Khashoggi was intentionally killed in the building and says it has arrested 18 people. It also has fired two senior officials close to Saudi Prince Mohammed bin Salman Crown.

The crown prince has not been directly implicated by Turkey, but Erdogan has said that the order to kill Khashoggi came from the "highest levels" in Saudi Arabia and that he does not think King Salman is responsible.

Erdogan said he can meet President Trump during his Paris visit. Two Turkish officials said they expected a meeting to take place, with discussion to include U.S.-Turkish relations, Iranian sanctions and the Khashoggi case.

As Turkey has increased pressure on the Saudis through the leakage to the news media on the gruesome killing, Saudi Arabia has been forced to shift its story. He had initially insisted that the journalist left the consulate alive.

Analysts and Western Diplomats say that Erdogan may be using the appropriate orchestrated leaks to leverage Turkish interests internationally.

"Erdogan can afford for this crisis in a number of different ways, given the strength of his position," said one Western diplomat who declined to be named, citing protocol. "He has a media infrastructure that works for him, and power is pretty much centralized."

Turkish officials had repeatedly complained about a lack of Saudi cooperation in the investigation, saying that Saudi Arabia's top prosecutor, who visited Istanbul last month, did not share any information.

The Turkish official who said he had been briefed on the tape. He also asked for the dead journalist's cellphones, the official said.

Erdogan said the Saudi prosecutor was obstructive during his visit. "And then they invite our chief prosecutor there," he said. "The scene of the crime is here."

"The murder or murders are definitely within this 15," he said, referring to 15 members of an alleged hit team identified by Turkish authorities. "The Arabian Arabian Administration will succeed in revealing this by making these 15 people talk."

Speaking at the International Peace Institute in New York on Friday evening, Prince Turki al-Faisal, the former head of Saudi's intelligence service and ambassador to Washington and London. "The kingdom is proud of its legal system," he said. "It will never accept foreign interference in that system."

He said he expects Saudi Arabia to "put all the facts on the table."

"The kingdom wants to show the rest of the world exactly what happened and to go on there," he said. He said that it would have been more effective in the conduct of the United Kingdom than in the United States, "which has been tarnished by this tragic and extraordinarily painful incident in all of our lives."

However, Turkish officials say that they do not trust Saudi Arabia to try the suspects or hold accountable the person responsible for giving the order. They say Saudi Arabia has rejected Turkish requests to extradite the suspects to be tried in Turkey.

"They are not telling the whole truth," said another Turkish official. "There is an important person behind this and they have to explain."

Mekhennet reported from New York. Zeynep Karatas in Istanbul and James McAuley and Seung Min Kim in Paris, contributed to this report.

.

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: