Kareem Hunt, in a first interview since being released by the Kansas City Chiefs after the release of an explosive video, said: "I was wrong" when he pushed and hit a woman and that he was "deadly". he regretted not having made the "right decision" to find a way to defuse the whole situation. "
Hunt said in a live interview that ESPN's Lisa Salters asked her, "I just want the whole world to know how sorry I am. This is a difficult time for me and I am extremely embarrassed because of this video. "
The video, released Friday by TMZ, shows disturbing images that, according to Hunt, go against his personality.
"I'm definitely not that kind of person. My mother raised me properly. I was raised by my mother and grandmother and it was just us, "he said. "They have always taught me well and I know the good of the bad. I am a person who always wants to make everyone happy. "
Hunt was injured Friday by the leaders after the security video showed him pushing and hitting a woman last February, during an incident in a hallway outside the town. Cleveland hotel apartment in which he lives. Abigail Ottinger, 19, and a friend were earlier in the night with Hunt and a group on a party bus and returned to Hunt's apartment, according to reported information. The two men were invited to leave and the fight broke out in the corridor.
"Honestly, the night was long and, to be exact, it did not matter what happened," he told Salters. "I was wrong. I could have taken my responsibilities and made the right decision to find a way to defuse the situation as a whole. "
He declined to elaborate on what led to the disagreement last February and announced his intention to seek treatment.
"These are certainly things that have been said and done that I do not like," he said. "This is not an excuse, this person in this video did not deserve that, I did not want to hurt anyone or anything like that, it's difficult because I feel like I'm giving up a lot of I just want to apologize to everyone, to the organization of the chiefs, to my family and to my close friends. "
Hunt, who asked for forgiveness, told Salters that he had gone into the apartment a few days earlier and had invited friends.
"Just a disagreement," he says. "Honestly, I wanted her to leave, but it's not an excuse for me to do that, or even to put myself in that position."
The most disturbing is the image of kicking her at a woman and he gave no explanation for that.
"You can not really explain it," he says. "The video shows that I was wrong. I am not that kind of person. I am really disappointed and embarrassed in myself and for my family. I really take steps to learn from this and become a better man. "
In releasing him, the leaders claimed that Hunt had lied to him when they interrogated him about the incident, without telling them about the video. "The leaders are right," Hunt told Salters. "I did not tell them everything. I do not blame them for nothing. My actions caused this. I would like to be able to apologize to them and let them know that there is no resentment between me and the leaders. I like the program and the people there. I just want to take this time to improve myself. "
For Hunt, as for the Chiefs and others, seeing the video made all the difference and it's something he did not see until Friday. "I realized what I did once I saw the video. It was really hard to watch. … I would have liked to handle this differently. "
Hunt repeated, "It's not me. I was not raised like that. He added that the NFL had not interviewed him about this incident and had not approached the woman, saying he did not know how to do it because he did not know her. "If I could [contact her]I want to tell him right away that I am sorry for my actions of the night. "
For Hunt, the fallout was instant after the release of the video on Friday. He was quickly placed on the commissioner's exemption list, a paid leave procedure that took on importance in 2014 when the league used it to keep running back Adrian Peterson and defender Greg Hardy left the field indefinitely while he was being sued in profile cases. According to the NFL network, Hunt is facing more than a six-game suspension; if – and it's a big "if" – another team had to sign it, it would be disciplined until the end of the 2019 season. In addition, Under Armor confirmed for the Baltimore Business Journal that it had broken its relationship with the 23-year-old midfielder who led the league as a rookie.
For the Chiefs and the league, these spillovers raise questions about the resolve to resolve incidents of domestic violence, a problem she attempted to resolve with an investigation after Ray Rice's public relations crisis four years ago. ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported Sunday that during the Hunt investigation, the league did not request an interview with Hunt. He contacted the alleged victim and one of his friends "several times", but they did not answer, officials said.
The league, according to the report, spoke to "as many witnesses as possible" and they said that Hunt was not involved. He obtained the police report and reviewed an interview with Hunt by the chiefs, but took no action. As in the Rice case, TMZ got the video, confronting the NFL with another PR problem.
Four years ago, the NFL had been criticized for handling an incident in which Rice, the former Raven player, was running. He was first suspended for two games, then his video was published by TMZ, marking a crisis of the season. An independent investigation by Robert S. Mueller III revealed shortcomings in the league's investigation.
"He should have warned the League that a serious attack had occurred and that she should conduct a more in-depth independent investigation to obtain the available evidence of what happened in the elevator. ", wrote Mueller.
The report concluded that there was no evidence that the NFL had seen Rice's video, which would have been delivered to the NFL offices. He also did not contact the Ravens for more information.
"If the League had acted this way," Mueller wrote in her 2015 report, "she might have discovered additional information about the incident, possibly including the video in the elevator before it was released. . "
The report concluded: "There was important information about the incident – even without the video in the elevator – indicating the need for further investigation. The NFL should have done more with the information it had and would have taken additional steps to obtain all the information available on February 15.  incident."
Read more about The Post:
The UCF wants to have a chance at the college football championship. Again.
Jalen Hurts replaces Tua Tagovailoa and Alabama
Three teams can count on a playoff spot. Then there is Oklahoma and Ohio State.