The Transitional Military Council, which takes over power, said a final agreement would be reached with the protesters' representatives in the next 24 hours.
The Sudanese army said early Wednesday, May 15, reached an agreement with protesters' representatives over a three-year political transition period to prepare a transfer of power to civilians. She also said that the composition of the Sovereign Council and an executive would be decided within 24 hours.
General Yasser Atta, a member of the Military Council who took power after the ousting of President Omar Al-Bashir on April 11, made the announcement. So far, the protesters wanted a transition period of four while the army wanted to shorten it to two years.
According to him, the first six months of this three-year transitional phase would be devoted to concluding peace agreements with rebel movements in the West and South of the country.
General Atta also reported an agreement on the prerogatives and composition of the future legislature. It will include, he said, 300 members and will consist of 67% by representatives of the demonstrators, gathered in the Alliance for Freedom and Change (ALC), spearhead of the protest movement . The rest will be occupied by political forces not affiliated with the ALC.
The coalition is demanding a transfer of power to a civilian authority and relies on the support of protesters who have been standing in front of army headquarters in Khartoum since 6 April. The senior Sudanese official has not mentioned an agreement on the composition of the Sovereign Council, which will be the high authority of the transition period.
An LAC representative, Madani Abbas Madani, confirmed the agreements and said the two sides have decided to form a commission of inquiry into the violence that killed six people Monday night and injured many others. The LAC and the US Embassy in Khartoum attributed the violence to the army, which accused them of "Infiltrated elements" seeking to derail the political process.