Home » Entertainment » Inside Corey Feldman’s wild screening of his film on sexual abuse

Inside Corey Feldman’s wild screening of his film on sexual abuse

It was supposed to be Corey Feldman’s big night.

For years, he had cited cryptically the Hollywood players who, according to him, had sexually abused him and his best friend, fellow actor Corey Haim, when the two were boys. Now, 10 years after Haim’s death, Feldman was ready to publicly call the alleged predators in a documentary titled “My Truth: The Rape of 2 Coreys”.

The film, Feldman said, had been rejected by traditional theatrical distributors. So he decided to publish it unconventionally, creating a website where the film would be available for streaming for anyone who paid $ 20 on Monday night. At the same time, the 48-year-old allegedly hosted an industry preview on behalf of the documentary at the Directors Guild of America headquarters in Los Angeles.

But at 20:00 on Monday, when the film was due to begin streaming online, paying customers received an error message. Realizing that the website was down, Feldman decided to stop showing at the DGA after 10 minutes until the technical problems were resolved. But they never have been.

“I’d like to say it was all a great act, but it’s not. It’s real,” Feldman told the crowd inside the theater, where he and his team were on stage, frantically trying to figure out how to proceed. In the screening room, one of the film’s producers was on the phone with the digital provider, trying to figure out why the film wasn’t being streamed.

Feldman asked his producer to amplify the call through a loudspeaker so that the public could hear the technicians describe how the servers had been “attacked” numerous times by “hackers”. (“Please be patient,” he read a message on the film’s website. “Hackers are trying to prevent the flow from streaming. The program will start momentarily. We appreciate your patience and support!”)

LA Premiere of

Rosanna Arquette attends the Los Angeles premiere of “My Truth: The Rape of 2 Coreys”.

(Richard Shotwell / Invision / Associated Press)

As he pondered his options, the room began to become restless and Rosanna Arquette – who was seated next to the likes of Patricia Richardson, Dave Navarro, Chris Kattan and Jamie Kennedy – prompted him to move forward with the projection.

“Rosanna Arquette says we have to do it,” said Feldman. “I want you all to support me when I am sued.”

While the online screening was eventually canceled, the one at the DGA continued.

Early Tuesday morning, Feldman was already apologizing for the failed online event and was pointing his fingers in an all-uppercase update on Twitter: “I GUARANTEE MY PERSONAL GUARANTEE THAT EVERYONE WILL GET 2 C OF THE FILM! EVEN IF HAVTA [BURN] DVD AND SEND US 2 EACH OF U! NOTHING WILL KEEP #MYTRUTHDOC FROM COMING! THIS IS CRAZY! PLEASE PLEASE 4 US!

In the film, Feldman reveals details about the sexual abuse he claims to have suffered as a child. He also claims that Haim has suffered similar abuse, particularly from actor Charlie Sheen. Haim was 13 when he met Sheen, who was 19 at the time, on the set of the 1985 film “Lucas”.

“It was not a one-time thing [Haim] he said in passing. It wasn’t like, “Oh, by the way, this happened.” It went down to the smallest detail, “says Feldman in the film.” He told me, “Charlie folded me between two trailers and put Crisco oil on my ass and raped me in broad daylight. Someone could have passed, anyone she could have seen it. “”

Sheen’s publicist made a statement to the Times on Tuesday morning.

“These sick, twisted and bizarre accusations never occurred. Period, “Sheen said.” I would urge everyone to consider the source and read what his mother Judy Haim has to say. “

Judy Haim has claimed for years that she has not been sexually abused. In a 2017 interview on “The Dr. Oz Show”, he told the guest that he hadn’t seen “a change of character” in his son after filming “Lucas”.

“I would have known if something was wrong. My son hasn’t hidden anything. It was, like, transparent. He never hid anything, it was Corey. He’s out of character, this is number 1, “he told Oz.” When my son was 13, he wasn’t going to ask Charlie Sheen to go to sleep with him. “

Sheen, who hasn’t had a starring role since the 9/11 flop of 2017, has long claimed that she never attacked Haim.

In 2017, after the National Enquirer published a story claiming that Sheen and Haim were smoking weed and having anal sex, the actor told the Hollywood Reporter that he “categorically” denied the allegations.

In the same year, Sheen sued the tabloid and reiterated her innocence to TMZ: “These radically unfounded and unfounded accusations end now. Now I take a passionate stance against those who wish to even entertain the sick and twisted lies against me. “A year later, he voluntarily closed the lawsuit.

Project Angel Food's 2018 Angel Awards

Charlie Sheen has long denied raping Corey Haim.

(Charley Gallay / Getty Images)

Feldman isn’t the only one who denounces Sheen in the documentary. The accusation is repeated by Feldman’s ex-wife, Susannah Sprague, “The Lost Boys” costar Jamison Newlander, “The Two Coreys” producer Scott Carlson, actor Henry Penzi and late friend Gary Hays .

The accusation was likely to have been discussed during a panel scheduled to follow the premiere of the documentary. But after the film’s closing credits, Feldman returned to the theater and told the theater that he felt it was inappropriate to move on with the question and answer session.

“I’m just a little lost for what we do next, and I guess I have to understand it,” he said as some mocked their posts. Feldman went on to explain that E! The journalist who was supposed to moderate the panel had been forced to withdraw from the network two hours before the event. He also said he was frustrated with the Associated Press, which said he got out of a live interview on Monday after seeing an embarrassed copy of the film.

“They said,” There is no one there, “said Feldman to the crowd, adding that he had done” like a million dollars in ticket sales “on Monday evening. “‘There is no story here. This has previously been reported. There is no news here.’ So this is a strong, truly insane demonstration of the dark side, which tries to keep silent. And we – all of us here tonight – we’re saying it’s not good. “

He urged the remaining spectators to head to the Sunset Strip, where “free pizza and potato skins” awaited at the Rainbow Bar and Grill. Before joining the party, however, Feldman would have had to complete interviews with some members of the press. But 20 minutes after the end of the documentary, Feldman was nowhere to be found.

“Did Corey leave? He just left me with all the press. I’m … done, “her publicist, Samantha Waranch, who once dated Haim and stars in the film, launched herself with some F-bombs while looking for Feldman.

Waranch offered to share his car with the Rainbow with me, promising that it would help track down Feldman there. While Ron Jeremy and Crystal Hefner were camped in the cabins, however, Feldman was nowhere to be found.

LA Premiere of

Corey Feldman attends the Los Angeles premiere of “My Truth: The Rape of 2 Coreys” at the Directors Guild of America on Monday March 9, 2020 in Los Angeles.

(Richard Shotwell / Invision / AP)

“I want to quit,” joked Waranch, standing amidst clouds of cigarette smoke as his calls continued to go to Feldman’s voicemail. About an hour later Feldman finally arrived, joined by his wife, Playboy’s playmate Shauna Sand, and a handful of paparazzi.

“I’m so sorry to keep you waiting,” he said, offering a hug. A team of half a dozen security guards he had hired led him to a table at the back of the room.

“I am very frustrated,” he said, sliding into a cabin. “I was expecting a big party and now I don’t feel celebratory at all. I’m very annoyed.”

Referring to anyone who allegedly attacked his website as “terrorists and child protectors”, Feldman admitted he wasn’t sure how it would go on with the release of the film. Another streaming event was scheduled for noon PDT on Tuesday and said anyone who had trouble watching him on Monday evening would have access to the second screening.

“If it doesn’t stream, then we’ll have to start talking to real distribution companies and think of a real distribution alternative,” he said. Feldman said he initially met two companies to release the documentary: Netflix and Lifetime, the latter owned by A + E Networks, which produced “The Two Coreys”, his 2007 reality show with Haim.

Corey Haim

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim participate in the premiere of “The Two Coreys”, an A&E reality show, in 2007.

(Frazer Harrison / Getty Images)

“Life was really strange because they were really excited and they said it’s a no-brainer,” said Feldman, noting that Lifetime had also aired the 2018 film “A Tale of Two Coreys”. “And then at the last minute, they had cold feet and didn’t give much explanation.

“Everyone is afraid of taking the risk,” he continued. “Netflix was afraid of taking the risk. They said, “We don’t make news. We make films that have already been broken, so if it’s a story that people know, let’s follow that story.” “

In financing the film itself, Feldman said he spent around $ 1.7 million. He initially had an investor who had promised him $ 125,000, but when that money fell, Feldman went to the “Marriage Boot Camp” reality show to make ends meet. (“I did a terrible reality show. But hey, whatever it takes for the greatest good.”)

After spending $ 300,000 on production, he said, he had to pay a $ 1 million franchise for film insurance and an additional $ 400,000 between the insurance premium and upfront fees for the streaming platform.

Feldman said he felt particularly motivated to make the film after the #MeToo movement launched in 2017. He found himself with tens of thousands of new Twitter followers, many of whom were pushing him: “Now is the time. Name the names. “

“I’m going on tour,” This isn’t the time. It’s not the place, “he recalled.” It worked, I guess. It’s not fair that I had to stop everything I was doing. I felt very pressured. “
He stopped to get Waranch’s attention.

“Sammy, can I have some food?” churches. “I want the food I paid for. I paid for all this food and I don’t see it anywhere. I want those damned potato peels! “

One of the hired security guards quickly got the skins.

“As I said, the most important thing is that the victims find the courage to tell their truth,” continued Feldman, biting a potato. “What [ hackers] they are doing right now creates more fear and confusion. The victims feel intimidated. They will go, “I try to tell my truth and watch what happened to Corey.” That’s no good. That’s why I give my word to everyone who paid for this movie who will see this movie, no matter what. “

He continued: “Nothing can stop this, because God has given me the strength to go so far. I won’t stop until I’m dead – and it’s not a challenge – or I get the justice I deserve, which means everyone can listen to him. Justice for me is knowing that anyone who wants to see the truth is able to see the truth, absolutely. But there is much more. The most important thing is that these guys are behind bars. You can’t go around hurting kids and get away with it. “

Leave a Comment