President Trump assured that “any attack by Iran will be met with an attack 1,000 times greater in magnitude.”
Iran and the United States exchanged threats following the release of reports that Tehran was planning to avenge high-ranking General Qasem Soleimani, killed by US forces last January.
“Let’s hope they do not make a new strategic mistake and in the event of any strategic mistake, they will witness Iran’s decisive response,” Iranian government spokesman Ali Rabiei said at a televised press conference.
Following the reports of the alleged Iranian plans to avenge Soleimani, President Donald Trump promised on Monday, September 14, that any attack by the Islamic Republic will receive a “1,000 times greater” response.
According to the Politico website, which quotes officials on condition of anonymity, the intelligence services suspect the existence of an alleged Iranian plot to kill the US ambassador to South Africa ahead of the November presidential elections in the United States.
“According to press reports, Iran may be planning an assassination, or other attack, against the United States in revenge for the death of terrorist leader Soleimani,” Trump tweeted.
“Any attack by Iran, in any form, against the United States will be met with an attack on Iran that will be 1,000 times greater in magnitude,” he continued.
Rabiei lamented that the president of a country that claims to control global order “makes hasty, agenda-driven and dubious comments on such a weak basis.”
The Iranian spokesman warned that reacting to such information “would achieve nothing more than disturbing the region and the global calm,” while advising Trump to “refrain from a new adventure … for the sake of winning a new term as president. ”.
Relations between Washington and Tehran have been strained for years, and even more so since Trump unilaterally withdrew in May 2018 from the international nuclear pact with Iran.
Last January, an attack with a US drone killed Soleimani in Baghdad, and now Washington is pressing to extend an arms embargo on Iran, which begins to expire progressively in October, while calling for the reimposition of UN sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
Iran denies plot
The threat against Ambassador Lana Marks, a close Trump ally, has become more precise in recent weeks, according to Politico sources.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined to comment directly on the point, but said he took the reports “seriously”.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran has been implicated in assassination efforts around the world. They have murdered people in Europe and in other parts of the world. We take these remarks seriously, ”Pompeo told Fox News.
“We make it very clear to the Islamic Republic of Iran that this kind of activity – attacking any American at any time and in any place, be it a diplomat, an ambassador or one of our service members – is completely unacceptable.” followed.
A spokesman for the Tehran Foreign Ministry called the reports “false” and “baseless”, while calling them part of “repeated and rotten methods to create an anti-Iran atmosphere on the international stage.”
The Iranian Navy claimed last week that a US patrol plane and two drones approached an area where military exercises were taking place near the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic area for the global oil trade and a center of tension between the two enemies. The ships would have left the area later.
In June last year, a US RQ-4 drone was shot down by Iran after it allegedly violated Iranian airspace, a claim denied by Washington.