November 3 is fast approaching, and it is set to be a very exciting and possibly dramatic presidential election in the United States.
Now both the news agency reports AP and major newspapers The New York Times that Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden expects legal challenges in the election process, and therefore brings together a team of top lawyers.
On several occasions, the president has indicated that he will not necessarily accept a possible defeat. At an election rally in August claimed he that he could only lose if the election was rigged.
– I will see. I’m not just going to say yes, Trump said in an interview two months ago, when asked if he would agree to lose the election.
In addition, President Trump has long cast doubt on postal votes, which could play a major role in the election due to the corona crisis.
Biden’s campaign says that the legal “war room” will work to ensure that the election is conducted correctly and that the votes are counted correctly. The team will also fight against the oppression of voters at the polling stations, identify foreign interference and misinformation, and inform voters about the various methods available to cast their vote.
According to The New York Times, hundreds of lawyers will be involved.
The Biden campaign describes the effort as the largest voter protection program in the history of presidential campaigns. The election is approaching and can lead to legal disputes about voters’ access to the ballot box and the legitimacy of postal votes, writes AP.
The Trump administration and the Republican National Committee have already filed lawsuits against several states that have taken steps to make voting by mail more accessible before the fall election.
More about the polls
- The swing states of Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida and Arizona are likely to be decisive for this year’s election results.
- The latest polls give Biden a head start in these six states.
- An average of polls in the six states gives Biden 48.6 percent, compared to 45 percent for Trump.
- 52.7 percent now believe that Trump is doing a bad job as president, while 43 percent believe that he is doing a good job, shows a weighted average of the latest opinion polls.
Biden’s new operation is led by Dana Remus, who has been an adviser in the Biden campaign, and Bob Bauer, a former White House adviser in the Obama administration. The latter joined the Biden campaign full time this summer.
The group’s tasks include some elements that are common in presidential campaigns, but this year there are other factors that come into play: the Corona pandemic and protecting the election from foreign interference.
For two years, specialist letter researcher Robert Mueller’s team examined whether Russia in 2016 influenced the US presidential election and whether there was cooperation between the Russians and Trump’s election campaign team.
The report was completed in March last year and concluded that the Russian authorities were behind a campaign to increase Trump’s chances of winning the election. But investigators did not find evidence that Trump’s associates cooperated with the Russians, while not ruling out that this was the case.
As mentioned, President Trump has cast doubt on postal votes for a long time. He has labeled the method as inaccurate and claimed that the election could be exposed to fraud or be “hijacked”.
– This will, in my opinion, be the most corrupt election in the country’s history. We can not let that happen, said Trump during an election rally in Arizona in June.
At the end of August, the president attracted attention with proposing to postpone the upcoming presidential election, precisely because of postal votes. The president argued that he did not want to see an election where the winner is chosen one week after election day.
Or, frankly, with negotiations and everything else that can happen, years after. Or that one never gets to know who won the election, Trump claimed.
The president also made headlines when he in early September urged North Carolina supporters to vote twice; both by post and by ballot box.
According to Trump, it will be a good way to test whether the systems that will counter election fraud are “as good as they say”, apparently with reference to the opposition.
It is illegal to vote more than once in an election.
– Much of what Trump and his allies want us to do is reinforce their disaster scenarios. We are not going to get caught up in the alarming rhetoric they use to intimidate voters. The constant return to fraud is in itself the oppression of voters, says Bob Bauer according to The New York Times.
Mandi Merritt, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee, accuses Democrats of wanting the election “to be out of control and post-based, without adequate security.”
– The Republicans have always supported absent voting with security measures in place and will continue to ensure that every valid vote is counted and that our elections are free, fair and transparent. What we oppose is a hasty and forced postal vote experiment that will eliminate these security measures, invite ten frauds and weaken the integrity of our choices, says Merritt, according to the newspaper.