Tuesday, 18 Dec 2018
News

Judge orders justice and state departments to reopen a limited investigation into the handling of Clinton's e-mail complaint


A US judge on Thursday ordered the justice departments and state departments to reopen an investigation to determine if Hillary Clinton had used a private mail server while the state secretary was deliberately escaping the laws on public records and whether the agencies acted in bad faith by not denouncing any court for months that they had asked in mid-2014 to return the missing emails. The order may reopen partisan wounds that have barely healed since the failure of Clinton's bid for the 2016 presidential election, but by making the order Thursday, US District Judge Royce C. Lamberth said that the spirit of the Freedom of Information Act required it. In a narrow but very firm 10-page notice, Lamberth wrote that, despite the government's alleged claim to transparency, "in the face of one of the most serious modern violations of government transparency, [the Obama administration’s] The Ministries of State and Justice did not respect the law's requirements for prosecution of documents. Lamberth added that despite repeated attacks by President Trump's campaign against Clinton for failing to make his e-mails public, "the current Justice Ministry has worsened the situation" by saying that agencies are not obliged to search for documents that are not in the possession of the government when a FOIA request is made. made. Lamberth wrote that he took no pleasure in "questioning the intentions of the country's most august ministries" but stated that it was necessary when their response "felt a scandalous mistake". The conservative legal watchdog group Judicial Watch filed its complaint against FOIA in July 2014 in search of a state department discussion points released following the September 2012 attacks on US facilities in Benghazi, Libya , who left an ambassador of the United States dead. The lawsuit comes several months before the March 2015 announcement that Clinton reportedly used only a private email account as a secretary from 2009 to 2013. Between July 2014 and March 2015, the state department said before the courts that his search for documents was sufficient and that he did not mention undisclosed. records as he proposed to settle the case. The agencies later acknowledged that additional research would be needed, without revealing that they had received 30,000 emails returned by Clinton. [Hillary Clinton apologizes for e-mail system: ‘I take responsibility’] At best, Lamberth said the government's actions reflect "negligence born of incompetence," adding, "At worst, career employees of state and justice departments have agreed to make fail the Clinton public review, juper FOIA and fool this court. " had been slow to rule on the order until a similar case in 2016 occurred before another federal district judge. Lamberth ordered government lawyers to meet with Judicial Watch and by December 17, offer to answer additional questions about whether "Clinton used a private email to foil FOIA, if attempts to State to settle the case in 2014 and 2015 were tantamount to bad faith. Subsequent state research was sufficient. A spokeswoman for the Justice Department declined to comment on Thursday. Its lawyers, in October, before Lamberth, acknowledged some errors in the handling of the case, claiming however that none of them constituted bad faith or lies, that the files had been searched shortly after their receipt and that the exhaustive reports of the FBI, the Inspector General and the House panel investigating the Benghazi attacks have solved the problem. [State Dept. inspector general report sharply criticizes Clinton’s email practices] Clinton has always said that she was using her personal email system for practical reasons while she was secretary of state and she assumed responsibility for her mistake. .

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: