Home News Man dies after self-medication with chloroquine to prevent coronavirus – NBC Los Angeles

Man dies after self-medication with chloroquine to prevent coronavirus – NBC Los Angeles

by drbyos

An Arizona man died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate – believing it would protect him from contagion with the coronavirus. The man’s wife has also ingested the substance and is undergoing critical care.

The man’s wife told NBC News that she had seen television briefings during which President Donald Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine. Although drugs to prevent or treat COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus, have not been approved, some early research suggests that it may be useful as a therapy.

However, the toxic ingredient consumed by the couple was not the therapeutic form of chloroquine, known as hydroxychloroquine, but chloroquine phosphate, an ingredient listed in a parasitic treatment for their home fish.

The couple – both in their sixties and potentially at greater risk of complications from the virus – mixed a small amount of the substance with a liquid and drank it as a way to prevent coronavirus. The wife says they got sick in a few minutes and her husband died shortly after their arrival in the hospital.

Read the full story on NBCNews.com

.

You may also like

Leave a Comment