Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019

New Zealand police raise "serious fears" for British tourist

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – The father of a 22-year-old British tourist who has been missing in New Zealand for six days has appealed for help on Friday, but the police say that "no one is here." she now has "serious fears" for her. security.

Grace Millane was last seen Saturday night in downtown Auckland. She had stayed at a backpacker hostel and had left some of her belongings there. Her birthday was Sunday but she did not contact her family.

Detective Inspector Scott Beard said the police had now confirmed that Millane had entered the CityLife hotel with a companion at around 9:40 pm. Saturday evening. Beard said that the man was a person of interest in the case and that they were conducting a scene review in a hotel unit.

David Millane spoke to the media Friday after arriving in New Zealand.

"Grace is a lovely, outgoing, loving and family-oriented girl," he said. "Grace has never been outside of this contact for so long. She is usually in daily contact with her mother, myself, her two brothers or family members on social networks. "

Millane said her daughter was on a one – year trip abroad that had started in Peru.

"She arrived here on November 20 and bombarded us with numerous photographs and messages of her adventures," said Millane. "We are all extremely upset and it is very difficult right now to fully describe the range of emotions we are experiencing."

Millane has urged anyone who has seen or seen her daughter during the past week to contact the police.

Beard stated that they had still found no evidence of a criminal offense and that the man with whom they had spoken was not in custody. He added that they were waiting for British banks to make them aware of Grace Millane's latest use of credit cards.

Beard said the police had more than 20 staff members working on the case and had been examining footage from surveillance cameras in the city for hours, which proved crucial to tracking Millane's movements.

"Grace has been seen for six days now," said Beard. "At this point, we fear for his safety."

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, disseminated, rewritten or redistributed.


%d bloggers like this: