No Hanover fair this year

Dhe Hannover Messe, the largest industrial fair in the world, is canceled this year due to the corona virus. Restrictions on entry, bans on contacts and an order from the Hanover region made it impossible to organize, said Deutsche Messe on Thursday. Three weeks ago, the trade fair originally planned for late April had already been postponed to mid-July. Now the industry meeting, for which around 6000 exhibitors from 70 countries have been announced, will only take place again in 2021.

“Our exhibitors and partners, as well as the entire team, went out of their way to carry it out,” said fair boss Jochen Köckler. “But today we have to realize that it will not be possible to host the world’s most important industrial fair this year.”

According to the organizers, it is the first time in the 73-year history of the fair that the show has been canceled. A digital program is intended to replace the time until the next edition from April 12 to 16, 2021. Among other things, live streams with interviews, panel discussions and presentations are planned. “The need for orientation and exchange is particularly important in times of crisis,” said Köckler. “That is why we are currently working flat out on a digital information and network platform at the Hannover Messe, which we will open to our customers shortly.”

A big blow

The corona virus crisis hits German industry hard. Sales are noticeably declining in many areas, the consequences include supply bottlenecks, production stops and short-time work. “The mechanical engineering industry must now concentrate on cushioning the consequences of the pandemic in their own factories before being able to start again,” said the managing director of the Association of German Mechanical and Plant Engineering (VDMA), Thilo Brodtmann.

The cancellation of the fair is also a big blow for hoteliers and restaurateurs in Lower Saxony. The managing director of the Dehoga association, Rainer Balke, had already spoken of a “super meltdown” for the regional industry after the postponement.

IT companies such as Google, Amazon, Huawei, SAP and Microsoft had also registered for the Hannover Messe. The partner country this year was to be Indonesia, whose president Joko Widodo wanted to visit Germany at the time of the exhibition.

.

Leave a Comment