On Thursday, January 21, the government decided to amend the order of the Cabinet of Ministers declaring a state of emergency, extending the security measures currently in force until February 7, the Delfi portal was informed by the Ministry of Health (MoD).
Content will continue after the ad
The epidemiological situation in Latvia is slightly stabilizing, however, it is not yet possible to abolish or relax the established security measures. Data from the Center for Disease Prevention and Control show that Covid-19 infection continues to spread and the situation in Latvia, despite improvements in recent days, is critical.
In order to be able to talk about relaxing security measures, the epidemiological situation should improve several times. This means that the first option to decide on a gradual reduction of the restrictions would be if no more than 200 new cases per 100 000 population were registered in 14 days.
The government also decided that from January 25, like students in other grades, children in grades 1-4 will study remotely. A decision has also been made on certain situations when individual practical classes for obtaining a qualification may take place in person. Accordingly, if the qualification requires on-site practical training that cannot be obtained remotely, such as in construction, mechanical engineering, metalworking, wood industry, energy, etc. This would be possible only in cases where it is possible to observe a distance of two meters.
Security measures valid until 7 February
- 1st – 12th grade students will study remotely.
- It may take place in person clinical practice in residency and practical classes for 6th year medical students to provide support to hospitals.
- Will work in person special education institutions and kindergartens.
- Other practical classes (also individually) are possible only remotely. Also in vocational and higher education, various courses, etc. classes may take place only remotely. (exception – individual practical classes for obtaining a professional qualification in certain cases).
- Interest education and various attempts may take place only remotely.
- Like so far amateur sports training may take place only outdoors (up to 10 people without changing rooms). This means that sports clubs will not accept clients indoors – they will not work in gyms and will not be able to go to the club to train individually.
- Will not work exhibition venues and other cultural venues, as well as fairs.
- Libraries will be able to distribute books at home.
- Museum interiors will be closed to visitorsbut continues operate museum open-air areas, in which it will be necessary to ensure one-way movement of people, to avoid collisions of human flows and to ensure a distance of at least 2 meters. Under the following conditions nature trails will also be able to operate.
- Will not work the whole beauty industry (including hairdressers).
- Sports equipment rental services may only be provided outdoors.
- It will not happen photo shoots and no photo services will be provided except for photo documents.
- There will be no engine hunting.
The current trade regime will be extended until 7 February. This means that until February 7, only:
- pharmacies (including veterinary pharmacies);
- optical goods stores;
- gas station;
- sales outlets where the following groups of goods may be traded:
- hygiene products;
- basic household goods, including gloves and socks;
- mobile phone prepaid cards;
- tobacco products, herbal smoking products, electronic smoking devices and their liquids;
- animal feed and goods;
- press publications;
- public transport tickets;
- mouth and nose pads and personal protective equipment;
- agricultural products of domestic producers;
Detailed trade information is available Ministry of Economy Homepage.
In addition, the VM indicates that Internet sales of goods are not restricted.
- As before anyone who is allowed to work remotely from home should do so. It is the employer’s responsibility to provide this. These conditions apply to both public administration and local government institutions and private companies. This means that salespeople, drivers, stackers, police officers, firefighters, security guards, radio and television announcers and operators, doctors and others, but not, for example, office workers will work in person.
- Until February 7 home session from 22.00 to 5.00 a.m. must be observed at night from Friday to Saturday and from Saturday to Sunday. During this time, people may be out of the house only for reasons of urgency, such as going to work or medical treatment. It is mandatory to fill in the self-declaration, indicating your personal data and the reason for the movement. You must have a passport or ID card with you.