Home » News » Oncology in times of the COVID-19 pandemic. Professor Piotr Wysocki: Last year it was a failure. This year, we’ll be diagnosing the missed 20 percent from last year and 20 percent this year

Oncology in times of the COVID-19 pandemic. Professor Piotr Wysocki: Last year it was a failure. This year, we’ll be diagnosing the missed 20 percent from last year and 20 percent this year

The key to curing patients is their early reporting to doctors with atypical symptoms suggesting the need for oncological diagnostics, carrying out this diagnosis and implementing appropriate treatment. All of this went wrong last year – said on Friday on TVN24 the head of the Clinical Oncology Department of the University Hospital in Krakow, professor Piotr Wysocki.

Doctors from the University Hospital in Krakow alerted on Thursday that the situation in oncology was critical. They reported that we are dealing with an unbelievably large wave of cancer diagnoses. This year, doctors predict, there will be 40 percent more than in 2020.

WATCH TVN24 IN THE INTERNET ON TVN24 GO

“Early diagnostics crashed”

The head of the Clinical Oncology Department of the University Hospital in Krakow, Professor Piotr Wysocki said on Friday on TVN24 that “there is a huge group of cancers where we do not have screening tests, where we cannot detect these tumors relatively early”.

– What is the key to cure these patients is their early reporting to doctors with atypical symptoms suggesting the need for oncological diagnosis, conducting this diagnosis and implementing appropriate treatment – he emphasized.

– It all went wrong last year. We cannot say that we only have one or two types of cancer where early diagnosis has failed. Early or even cancer detection decreased last year by 20 percent – said Professor Wysocki.

He noted that “since 2014, when the rapid diagnosis and cancer treatment card was introduced, it was supposed to be a short path for patients with suspected cancer (…) the number of these cards was growing every year”. – Last year it fell by 20 percent. So it is as if 20 percent fewer people fell ill last year, which of course is not true. We were diagnosed 20 percent less, the doctor noted.

– This year, we will be diagnosing the missed 20 percent from last year and 20 percent for this year. So we have a total of 40% expected growth, he added.

“Critical situation” in oncology. Doctors are sounding the alarm on an “unbelievably large wave” of cancer after the pandemicTVN24

“If it starts to go downhill, the final victim of it will be the patients.”

Prof. Wysocki emphasized that “health protection has been on the border for many years”. – Everything is in fact temporarily glued, added, assembled, there is a huge burden on the medical staff, nursing staff who have had to deal with the cancer epidemic for years and suddenly imagine that there will be such a huge impact associated with this overlap of two undiagnosed years sick – he assessed.

– It will be a shock, it will be a burden exceeding the adaptive capacity of the system, and unfortunately, when it all starts to collapse, the final victim will be patients who will lose the chance of a full recovery

Main photo source: TVN24

Leave a Comment