Sanders will continue to compete in the White House despite Biden’s wins: Washington Post

BURLINGTON, Vt. (Reuters) – Democratic presidential contender Bernie Sanders plans to remain in the race for the White House despite suffering a series of radical losses in front-end competition nominations Joe Biden, the Washington Post reported Wednesday.

Sanders will provide a “campaign update” at 13:00. EDT (1700 GMT) press conference in his home state of Vermont, said the US Senator’s campaign, but the Post has reported that he does not intend to suspend his campaign.

Biden, the former vice president, on Tuesday made decisive primary victories in Michigan and three other states, taking a big step towards nominating the party to challenge Republican Donald Trump in November and questioning the future of the White House devaluation of Sanders.

Sanders, who won in North Dakota but had hoped for a shocked victory in Michigan to increase his flag chances, was forced to cancel an election night rally in Cleveland due to worries about the coronavirus and has not yet commented on the results.

Biden, 77, has already begun to look forward to general elections, calling for party unity and appealing to 78-year-old Sanders’ supporters.

“We share a common goal and together we will defeat Donald Trump,” Biden said in Philadelphia, thanking Sanders and his supporters for their energy and passion.

Just two weeks ago, Sanders was seen as the top spot after an impressive Nevada win in mid-February, while Biden and the other moderate candidates continued to split the party centrists’ vote. But Biden has scored a streak since then.

Reporting by Michael Martina in Detroit, John Whitesides in Washington and Trevor Hunnicutt in Philadelphia; Additional reports from Doina Chiacu, Ginger Gibson and Chris Kahn in Washington; Written by Joseph Ax; Curated by Scott Malone and Jonathan Oatis

Our standards:Thomson Reuters’ principles of trust.

.

Leave a Comment