- Coronavirus can spread easily from an infected person to healthy people
- Follow all preventive measures to control the spread of coronavirus
- Everyone, including young people, should follow all preventive measures
Coronavirus can affect people of different age groups. The virus originated in China and has now affected several countries around the world. More than 400 positive cases have been reported in India. The Director-General of the World Health Organization, dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus shared various guidelines to combat the spread of the coronavirus. According to data collected from various countries, the elderly have a higher mortality rate. Dr. Tedros shared a message for young people that you are not invincible. It is extremely necessary to follow all precautions to fight the virus.
Coronavirus outbreak: WHO shares the message for young people
“It is extremely important to follow all necessary precautions. Every day we are learning more about this virus and the disease it causes. One of the things we are learning is that the elderly are the hardest hit and the young are not spared. Data from many countries show clearly that people under 50 represent a significant percentage requiring hospitalization, “said Dr. Tedros at the conference.
“Today I have a message for young people, you are not invincible that this virus could put you in the hospital for weeks or it could kill you. Even if you don’t get sick the choices you make on where you go could be the difference between life and death for someone else. I am grateful that so many young people are spreading the word and not the virus. Solidarity is the key to defeating COVID-19, “he added.
Read also: Coronavirus tips: just like your hands, you also need to disinfect your phone! Know why and how
Steps to follow to combat the spread of coronavirus
WHO and the ministry of health have advised people of all ages to follow all necessary precautions. Here are some steps you need to follow-
- Avoid going to crowded places, quarantine or self-isolation is needed to control the transfer of the virus
- Wash your hands with soap and water to remove germs that may be present on your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Clean the phone, wallet and other personal items you use on a daily basis
- Don’t ignore the signs and symptoms of coronavirus
- Wear a mask and keep your social distance if you experience any symptoms
- Cancel all your travel plans
- Maintain a distance of at least 1 meter (3 feet) between yourself and anyone who coughs or sneezes
Read also: Coronavirus Outbreak: the doctor’s advice for people with health conditions
Disclaimer: This content, including the board, provides general information only. It does not in any way replace qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your doctor for more information. NDTV assumes no responsibility for this information.