Moscow’s proposal to increase taxes for a resident of Cyprus to 15% did not meet with understanding from the authorities of Nicosia
Photo: Petros Karadjias / AP
Russia intends to break the current agreement with Cyprus on avoidance of double taxation (DTT). The reason is that the authorities of the island state has not presented Moscow his proposals for changes in rates, told RBC Federal official.
Vedomosti, citing its sources reported that the talks about changing the tax treaties with Cyprus stalled. According to them, Cyprus in response to Moscow’s proposal to increase when current rates offered to save them, tightening the control over foreign entities of the Russian business. However, Moscow insists on raising them, threatening to denounce the current agreement in the autumn, the newspaper writes.
Now a tax Treaty with Cyprus provides that the payment of dividends in favor of residents of Cyprus from Russia can be reduced to 5 or 10%, and the interest on the loans to 0%.
The Finance Ministry has proposed to Cyprus to remove all tax benefits on dividends from Russia
After the unilateral withdrawal from the DTT with Cyprus all payments (dividends, interest, royalties) in favor of residents of Cyprus from Russia will be taxed in accordance with Russian Tax code, i.e. at the rate of 15% (dividends) and 20% (interest, royalties). Can also hurt Russian companies and natural persons, who receive income from Cyprus, since the taxation of these payments will be effected under the laws of Cyprus, without applying the DTT.
The Cepeda family, like many across Connecticut, is settling into a new normal.
“Only about a day has passed,” said Christian Cepeda via FaceTime. “As for the future, we’ll just have to wait and see.”
Cepeda and her mother Josefina both work at Foxwoods Resort Casino. Cepeda’s sister works in Mohegan Sun. All three family members are temporarily out of work due to the historic closure of the COVID-19 casino.
“We should all be concerned because we don’t know exactly how long it will last,” said Cepeda. “At some point you don’t know when things will pile up too high.”
Cepeda has spent the past five years working on world-class Monza Karting in the resort. Cepeda’s sister is a Mohegan Sun reseller and her mother, Josefina, has worked on Foxwoods’ maintenance team for 19 years.
“As you can imagine, his routine is completely out of his mind,” said Cepeda.
Casinos are closed for two weeks. According to a spokesman for the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Council, all members of the Foxwoods team were fired for the two weeks. I am able to use the benefit time, with all the benefits remaining in place.
Mohegan Sun president and chief executive officer Jeff Hamilton said he had made no layoffs due to the temporary shutdown.
“This is a difficult and arduous moment in which we find ourselves, even if the top priority of our leadership is to bring all the interested team members back to a reopening, at which point we have the utmost confidence that we will return stronger than ever in providing an unparalleled experience for our guests, “wrote Hamilton in a note.
Cepeda said his family is grateful that the casinos have closed to keep everyone safe. Their jobless time so far has been filled with extra family time, enjoy each other’s company.
Cepeda and her sister applied for unemployment and also helped the mother to apply for unemployment. He fears for his colleagues who don’t have access to a computer or understand how to apply for unemployment.
“My mom is lucky because my sister and I are here,” said Cepeda. “But there are many other families, many other immigrant workers and then they come to find that they lose their jobs for an uncertain number of weeks. Some don’t even know how to sign up for unemployment. You have to do it through online.”
The Connecticut Department of Labor has received over 52,000 unemployment claims since Friday March 13, which is approximately 20 times the normal amount of claims. The DOL usually received 2,500 requests per week.
According to the DOL, they are continuing to move resources to devote more staff to processing new complaints. The governor also authorized the use of overtime for this purpose.
With more unemployed people across the state, soup kitchens are preparing to serve even more meals.
The St. Vincent de Paul Place team in Norwich made changes to make meals safer. They only serve meals in travel containers and some of their older volunteers stay at home, but don’t slow down. They are preparing for even more people in the area to need help due to an increase in the laid-off workers.
“Many of these people could come to the food pantry once a month, they just needed a little bit to get over the hump,” said Jill Corbin, executive director of St. Vincent de Paul Place Norwich. “Now that I’m without those jobs, we’ll see many more.”
St. Vincent de Paul Place is asking for more volunteers to work in the kitchen and volunteers to help prepare sandwiches. The meal center serves breakfast and lunch daily. At each meal people can also take a sandwich to go.
They are also asking for supplies including travel containers and sandwich bags. Pasta, pasta sauce and jelly are just some of the items that will help keep the pantry.
The ministry canteen normally works Monday through Saturday, however, a crowded-style meal will be served on Sunday in the parking lot of downtown Cliff Street. The meal is usually served at Lee Method United Church. Due to COVID-19 concerns, the meal could not be hosted in the church. Community and faith leaders came forward to host the community meal on St. Vincent de Paul Place instead this Sunday at 1:00 pm.
Cepeda said his family is doing well and are grateful that they don’t have to take advantage of the canteen’s services at the moment. Her family is worried about their colleagues.
“He wants everyone to know that this is serious,” said Cepeda, translating for his mother. “He hopes that he returns to normal because there are many families who depend on their complete control and now their life is completely turned upside down.”
The total number of coronavirus cases in Massachusetts is up to 218, public health officials said Tuesday after it had arrived at 197 the day before.
Massachusetts is one of the states in the United States with the highest number of coronavirus cases in the country so far. While nobody died from the virus locally, more than 70 people died nationwide.
Severe restrictions on daily life have been ordered, including the canceled school, the limits on gathering in groups and eating in restaurants, while the state struggles to mitigate the spread of the deadly pandemic.
Earlier Tuesday, Governor Charlie Baker said Massachusetts faces “tough days ahead” and has torn down rumors that residents have been ordered to take refuge on the spot.
President Donald Trump and the Coronavirus Task Force gave updates on the coronavirus pandemic on Tuesday, urging people to follow the CDC guidelines for at least 15 days and to act very cautiously. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin later announced a tax deferral of the IRS for those who are liable to pay taxes.
For days, most Massachusetts cases represented in the Department of Public Health numbers were related to an employee meeting held by the local biotechnology company Biogen at a hotel in downtown Boston. But it is no longer so: Tuesday’s data show 102 people linked to the meeting directly or through members of their family.
Thirty-three cases were found to be transmitted locally and 24 related to travel, according to the numbers. Another 59 remain under investigation.
Someone has coronavirus in at least 10 of the state’s 14 counties.
Eighty-nine cases were in County Middlesex, 43 in Norfolk, 42 in Suffolk, 14 in Berkshire, eight in Worcester and Essex, five in Bristol and Plymouth, two in Barnstable and one in Hampden. Another case has not yet been traced to a location.
Twenty-one cases have so far been confirmed as in need of hospitalization, while 52 remain under investigation and 145 people have not needed to go to hospital.
Many officials cited the phrase “flatten the curve” while seriously reducing public events. An infectious disease expert explained what it means and why it is crucial for the public health system.
The haste to limit social activity across the nation is an attempt to prevent the virus from spreading so quickly that it overwhelms hospital intensive care units, which places like Wuhan, China and Italy have seen.
The Sonoma County Department of Health Services confirmed Monday
an alleged positive case of the new coronavirus in the county.
A positive presumptive case is defined as probable
positive for the virus and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will
conduct another test to confirm the diagnosis, the Department of Health Services
If confirmed, it will be the second case of the virus announced by the county since last Tuesday.
Local, state and federal health agencies are identifying people
the most recent patient had contact with before being hospitalized, county
The patient in the alleged positive case was at sea
cruise between San Francisco and Mexico and was in the county for 10 days.
The patient has symptoms of the virus and is in stable condition in a
isolation room in a hospital, said the department of health services.
Last Tuesday, Sonoma County health service officials
confirmed a case of coronavirus in a patient being treated at a hospital in
That patient was among the displaced in the United States from the contaminated Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, who were flown to the Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, then taken to a hospital in Sonoma County. The Department of Health Services said the patient had not been infected in Sonoma County. Further details on that person were not disclosed.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend these seven tips to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
In response to the presence of the coronavirus, he declared the county
a local public health emergency and a local emergency. Both statements will
be examined for ratification by the Board of Supervisors at a meeting of this type
“This recent alleged positive case of COVID-19 is a
cause for concern and the county is declaring the activation of these emergencies
and deploy resources to adequately respond to an increase in cases ”
Health care worker Celeste Philip said.
“They will allow us to work in tandem with our cities
and healthcare professionals to ensure that we are ready to fight an outbreak of
COVID-19 in our communities, “said Philip.
The county is waiting for test kits for the virus that will
be used in his public health laboratory.
County residents should contact a health care provider if
have symptoms including fever and cough or who have had close contact
someone with symptoms who have returned from China, Italy, Iran in the past 14 days,
Japan or South Korea, said the Department of Health Services.