The Government is preparing to announce the continuation of the quarantine for another 15 days. The social, preventive and compulsory isolation will last until May 11, but it will consist of two different phases: until May 4 the same restrictions that have prevailed up to now will be maintained; and in the second week there will be an opening of economic activities in the interior of the country.
According to EL DIA, the small table of the Government concentrated on the Olivos estate to begin to give shape to the decree of necessity and urgency that will order the new extension of the quarantine. There, the President Alberto Fernández, the Chief of Staff Santiago Cafiero, the Legal and Technical Secretary Vilma Ibarra and the Minister of Strategic Affairs, Gustavo Beliz, met.
After yesterday’s meetings, the President will summon the governors again for a teleconference that will be held this afternoon and it is estimated that, if he repeats the custom, at the end of that conclave, the official announcement of the extension of the isolation will be made.
Headed by the Minister of Health, Ginés González García, epidemiologists advised the President to continue the quarantine, especially in the Buenos Aires Metropolitan Area (AMBA), where the focus of the COVID-19 virus is concentrated, but noted that ” the curve flattened “in important provinces such as Córdoba and Santa Fe, official sources indicated.
In the meeting that took place in the quincho of the presidential residence, the experts also commented to the head of state that the curve of cases at the national level is experiencing a “smooth increase” and highlighted that in some provinces “no contagions were registered in the last 14 days ”, with which it was possible to eradicate the possibility of“ community circulation ”.
With these data, the President could conclude that there is the possibility of making the quarantine more flexible “by jurisdiction”, something that could take place from Monday, May 4, government sources reported to this newspaper. However, what will continue to be closed are airports, border crossings, and schools and universities across the country.
The experts also confirmed before Alberto F. that the age group to be cared for intensively is that of the elderly (over 65 years old), which concentrates 80 percent of the deaths caused so far by COVID-19 in Argentina . Among the scientists who attended Olivos was the WHO / PAHO Special Ambassador for Latin America and the Caribbean, Mirta Roses. Also taking part in the meeting with Alberto F. were the scientific director of the Guest Foundation, Pedro Cahn; the head of the Argentine Society of Infectious Diseases, Omar Sued; the president of the Argentine Society of Emergencies, Gonzalo Camargo; and specialists Angela Spagnuolo de Gentile, Gustavo Lopardo, Florencia Cahn, Carlota Russ, Eduardo López and Luis Cámera.
For the Government, the Secretary for Access to Health, Carla Vizzotti, the visible face of the Ministry of Health, participated in this health crisis. While the infectologist Carlota Russ pointed out that the “possibility of flexing the quarantine” and some economic activities were analyzed according to the technical data that they evaluated on the “different realities of the provinces”.
As for the possibility of reopening some economic activities, Russ said that “that is the intention and at least it seems a probability.” And he added: “We have a large country and each of the places is different, a town without cases of coronavirus is not the same as a large urban center, but we do not know how that solution will be taken,” he added.
On when the coronavirus outbreak peak will occur, Russ said that question cannot be “answered, although we know that there will be more cases but we do not know if that will be the peak.” The expert also highlighted the results of the quarantine: “up to now we have achieved many of the purposes that were, for example, that there should not be a sudden increase in cases.”