Friday, 14 Dec 2018

The air force failed 6 times to keep its gun to the shooter in Texas before killing 26 people, according to a report

A rosary is hanging from the fence surrounding the first Sutherland Springs Baptist Church a week after the killing of 26 people inside on November 12, 2017. (Carolyn Van Houten / The Washington Post) Alex Horton General Mission Reporter Covering National News and Latest News December 7 at 7:38 pm The 26 devotees that Devin Patrick Kelley shot and killed may not have seen coming. But the air force did it. The service failed six times to pass on information to the FBI that would have prevented the former ailing airman from buying the weapons he had used during the November 2017 massacre at a church in Sutherland Springs. , Texas, concluded the report of the Pentagon Inspector General. At least four times during and after the criminal proceedings against Kelley over domestic violence, the Air Force should have submitted the former military service's fingerprints to the information services division of Kelley. FBI Criminal Justice, concludes the 131-page report. On two other occasions, he should have submitted to the FBI the final decision report – which sets out the results of a case, after the proceedings had taken place. In any case, this has not been the case. Had the Air Force followed the protocol, Kelley's criminal history would have been recorded in the interstate identification index and would have been disclosed in the national criminal history snapshot system (NICS). ). This background system is used by licensed firearms dealers to determine whether a client is prohibited from purchasing a firearm . Because of these errors, Kelley's name was never mentioned in NICS, although he was sentenced in 2012 to a General Court Martial for assaulting his wife and son-in-law. He legally purchased four firearms, including three that killed 26 people and injured nearly two dozen during the November attack on the first Sutherland Springs Baptist Church. The report of the Inspector General describes the six errors of protocol committed by the Air Force. According to the report, the factors that led to this break-up are "inexperienced special agents, individual personal problems at the time, gaps in leadership and a high work rate." The agents and security forces did not have sufficient training in fingerprinting. The final report indicates that these factors "provide context" but "do not excuse failures". The report concludes that there was "no valid reason" for the air force blunders.
Devin Patrick Kelley. (Texas Public Security Department / AP) But the failures in Kelley's case are not unique. As part of this report, the Office of the Inspector General audited 70 investigations conducted by the Air Force Special Investigations Bureau Detachment, 25 of which were investigated within the same period as the Kelley case. . In 45 of these cases, fingerprints and the final decision should have been sent to the FBI. Air Force investigators collected fingerprints from 45 of 49 subjects, but 10 of them – or 20% – were not submitted. Fifteen (33%) of the final decision reports have also never been submitted. Ann Stefanek, a spokeswoman for the Air Force, said the report had been given to the relevant commanders to determine if anyone would be sanctioned for the breaches. But she refused to identify the ranks or tasks of the staff likely to be found at fault. "We are just starting this process," she said on Friday.[[[[
An armed man in a church, able to buy weapons through an air force mistake, had a "domestic conflict"]This detailed report describes the disciplinary actions to which Kelley was subjected during his tenure as an active member of the Air Force, which he joined in January 2010. He explains how Kelley became a dangerous threat and how the air force repeatedly failed to abide by its policies. intended to prevent someone like Kelley from hurting himself or others. Between June 2011 and March 2012, according to the report, Kelley was sentenced to 13 separate administrative penalties for more or less serious behavior, including wearing uniform headphones, sending text messages during classes, not paying his bills. elementary tasks and lie at the call of a supervisor. it a derogatory name. During the same period, the Air Force Special Investigations Bureau opened an investigation into Kelley for possible sexual abuse after her 11-month-old son-in-law was hospitalized twice in one week under alarming conditions, according to Kelley. The report. The details of what motivated the boy's first hospitalization appear in the report, but he was admitted a second time after Kelley and his wife, Tessa Kelley, took him to the hospital with bruises. on the left cheek that "seemed to be a handprint". . In an interview, Kelley claimed that he did not know how the boy had been injured and had suggested to the special agents that he had perhaps been injured during a fall while he was not injured. he crawled or played in his cradle. At the end of the interview, Kelley's fingerprints and a DNA sample were taken, but were never forwarded to the FBI. This is the first misstep of the Air Force protocol, says the report. The boy was placed in foster care. Shortly after, Kelley voluntarily went to the mental health clinic at her base to inform a psychologist of her condition to make that he was unable to handle stress at work because the protective services from childhood had brought his son-in-law. From September 2011 to February 2012, Kelley was treated 17 times at the mental health clinic, but the psychologist's notes do not report any alarming behavior, the report says. Kelley's wife left him in February 2012 and told investigators that he had abused her emotionally and physically for months. A noncontact order has been issued. The investigators tried to interview Kelley about the allegations of abuse, but this one refused to talk and asked for help from a lawyer. This is the second missed opportunity for the Air Force to collect and transmit fingerprints, the report says. The Air Force and Department of Defense policy states that when a law enforcement official determines that there is a probable cause of an offense , his fingerprints must be collected and sent to the FBI. According to the records, no determination of the probable cause was made, although Tessa Kelley provided photographs of her bruises. Later that month, Kelley voluntarily took care of patients hospitalized in a mental health facility and was diagnosed with an "adjustment disorder with a depressed mood". Kelley told the medical staff that he felt suicidal and that he was considering killing himself because of the report says. Two weeks later, Kelley was released. According to the report, in mid-March, Tessa Kelley reportedly saw her husband put a single bullet in a 38-caliber revolver and pull the trigger three times before pointing his gun at her. A month later, he again attacked Tessa Kelley while the couple was going to the airport. He licked it against his temple, according to the report, and then put the muzzle into his own mouth before admitting to slapping Tessa Kelley's son and knocking him repeatedly. During another stay at the inpatient mental health facility in 2012, a staff member said he saw Kelley visit a "gun website," the report says. According to the records of the factory, it was unclear whether Kelley had already bought a firearm or was looking to buy one. The next day, Kelley left without permission and was later found at a Greyhound bus station. As a result of these incidents, his commander ordered Kelley to remain in custody on the grounds that he had become a flight risk and a danger to himself and others. He was arrested by 49 Squadron of the security forces and taken to a detention center. According to the Air Force correctional policy, Kelley should have taken her fingerprints when she was transferred to the institution, which would have generated a registration to be submitted to the FBI after her conviction. [Children of couple killed in Texas church massacre file claim against U.S. government] But the Inspector General could not determine if he was carrying fingerprints because the facility closed in May 2016 and all of his records appear to have been destroyed, just as the Air Force policy. According to the report, what the investigators did determine was that the fingerprints were never sent to the FBI after Kelley's conviction. In the report, this incident is not among the four missed opportunities for Kelley's fingerprinting at the FBI. The reason is not clear. The third violation of the protocol, according to the report, would have occurred during an interview at the detention center. According to the interview minutes contained in her file, special agents collected Kelley's fingerprints at the end of the conversation. But the Inspector General's office did not find his fingerprints in the file and determined that the FBI had never received Kelley's fingerprints. On November 7, 2012, Kelley was convicted of assaulting his wife and son-in-law, his rank reduced to basic soldier, sentenced to 12 months in jail, and a discharge for bad conduct. He was retreated to the place of detention where he remained before his trial – an act that should have prompted the staff of the establishment to collect his fingerprints and submit them, together with his final decision report, to the FBI. This did not happen – for the fourth time. It is unclear whether the facility has collected fingerprints because the record was destroyed, but the FBI has never received the information, according to the report. When Kelley's file was closed in December 2012, the Air Force had one last opportunity to ensure that its fingerprints and final decision were properly recorded in the FBI CJIS Division database. Again, that failed. The Special Agent supervising the investigation certified in the Air Force Special Investigations Bureau database that Kelley's fingerprint cards and the final decision report had been submitted to the FBI. "It was not accurate," the report says. In fact, the fingerprint cards were left in the investigation file and the checklist for closing the files remained incomplete. Read more: A clean and sober room: Sutherland Springs still fighting the church massacre Who is Devin Patrick Kelley, according to armed officials who killed followers in Sutherland Springs? Read Devin P. Kelley's court documents on assault and domestic violence

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: