Home » Sport » The IOC says the Tokyo Olympics will continue despite the threat of the coronavirus

The IOC says the Tokyo Olympics will continue despite the threat of the coronavirus

Posted

March 04, 2020 4:51:57 AM

The International Olympic Committee has told athletes to prepare for the Tokyo Olympics despite fears that the threat of the coronavirus may delay or even cancel the Summer Games.

IOC President Thomas Bach gave his unequivocal support for the Games by moving forward as the committee’s executive committee met on Tuesday in Switzerland (local time) to discuss the event, which runs from 24 July to 9 August.

“We are preparing for the successful Tokyo 2020 Olympics,” said Bach in Lausanne.

“I would like to encourage all athletes to continue their preparations for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics with great confidence and full capacity.

“For our part, we will continue to support national athletes and Olympic committees.”

Could games be delayed?

There had been questions about the possibility of Tokyo delaying the Games after comments by Japanese Olympics Minister Seiko Hashimoto on Tuesday, when he said that the details within the host city contract “could be interpreted as meaning a postponement” the end of the year.

“The IOC has the right to cancel games only if they don’t take place during 2020,” Hashimoto told parliament.

But he also said that the government and Tokyo committed themselves to the games starting on time.

Japan has already asked all its schools to close until April due to the outbreak and several major sporting events, including professional baseball games and the Spring Sumo tournament, will be held behind closed doors due to the spread of the coronavirus. .

More information about the coronavirus epidemic:

Themes:

Summer Olympics,

control disease,

Health,

Infectious-disease-other,

Japan

.

Leave a Comment