Home » Health » Third UQ case confirmed when opening the first drive-through test site

Third UQ case confirmed when opening the first drive-through test site

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said the increase in cases is in line with modeling, which showed that one in four people in Queensland would eventually have coronavirus.

He insisted that, as far as he knew, the virus was still fully contained in Queensland and did not spread within the community as it was in New South Wales.

In the UQ statement, he assured third-year psychology students that they would have online access to learning resources “from next week”, and those who are expected to self-isolate themselves would not be at a disadvantage.

“Our staff across the university are working quickly to switch to online teaching and other delivery methods,” said the university. “Most of the lessons and lesson materials are already available online for those who do not wish to attend the lessons.”

Classes and research at UQ will continue as usual next week, based on advice from the federal government, which will implement a ban on non-essential meetings of over 500 people starting Monday.

Education Minister Grace Grace said Queensland schools will also remain open, with decisions to be made “quickly” should the need to close individual sites arise.

Cases announced on Friday include a person in Kingaroy, inland from the Sunshine Coast, and a man who went to Rockhampton and became ill, representing the first time the virus spread outside the southeast corner of the state. .

Last Saturday, Health Minister Steven Miles announced that the first state trial of a drive-through test facility – expected to take place daily from 10am to 6pm – had been opened at the Clinic for minor injuries and diseases. of the Caloundra Health Service.

Final preparations were also made to establish another facility at the Baillie Henderson hospital in Toowoomba. Other states have also implemented similar drive-throughs.

“If people meet the test criteria, the swabs will be taken and the swabs sent for testing,” said Miles.

Queenslanders who have been abroad for the past 14 days, or in close contact with a confirmed case, and have a fever or any respiratory symptoms, are encouraged to call their family doctor, 13 HEALTH or the national hotline for information. on the health of Coronavirus at 1800 020 080.

Most viewed in the national team

Loading

Leave a Comment