Altenburg (Thüringen) – A man caused significant disruption at a Kaufland supermarket, flooding the floor with bottles of sparkling wine, emptying shelves, and throwing jars of preserves. The rampage ended only when two customers intervened.
Shocking videos document the incident at the Kaufland store in Altenburg-Nord, Thüringen. Shortly after 6 p.m., a man dressed entirely in black entered the supermarket on Kauerndorfer Allee and began overturning crates of produce in the fruit and vegetable section.
Three sales associates confronted the man, demanding he stop. The store was crowded with shoppers. One employee attempted to de-escalate the situation, asking, “Why are you doing this? Please stop. Please remain calm.”
Personnel Waited in Vain for Security
The appeals were unsuccessful. Another sales associate shouted in frustration, “We’re calling the police.” The man paused briefly, stating, “Yes, call the police,” before continuing his destructive behavior. Increasingly, customers noticed the man, some stepping aside while others filmed the incident on their phones. Fortunately, the man did not directly attack any customers, and no one was injured.
Cucumber juice, sparkling wine, and chocolate-hazelnut spread mixed on the tiles. Employees could be heard asking, “Where is security?” It was discovered that no security personnel were present at the store.
Handymen Escort Randalier Out of the Store
Two handymen who were completing their own shopping eventually intervened, approaching the man and guiding him toward the exit, where police soon arrived.
Police Commissioner Selina Rolle confirmed to BILD that the perpetrator was a 27-year-old Afghan man who threw boxes of merchandise onto the floor. She stated he was experiencing a psychological emergency and was taken to a hospital for treatment.
On Saturday, the floors were cleaned and shelves restocked, but some damage remained visible. Dented displays had been hastily straightened. “It was terrible. It’s awful that we don’t even have security guards anymore to protect customers and us,” said one employee.
A Kaufland spokesperson told BILD that the safety of customers and employees is their top priority and that security personnel are deployed at the Altenburg store, particularly from Thursday to Saturday. The spokesperson stated there had been no reduction in security personnel in Altenburg and that they are investigating why security was not present on the day of the incident. Security personnel will be present at the store again starting Monday. The company has filed a criminal complaint against the man and banned him from the store.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happened at the Kaufland in Altenburg?
A man went on a rampage in the store, throwing produce and other items onto the floor, causing significant damage.
Was anyone injured during the incident?
No, the man did not directly attack any customers, and no injuries were reported.
What did Kaufland say about the incident?
Kaufland stated that the safety of customers and employees is a top priority and that they are investigating why security personnel were not present during the incident.
As communities grapple with complex social issues, how can retailers best balance the need for security with creating a welcoming environment for all shoppers?
