The SKM Suburban Railway Station in Gdynia will finally be renovated. Works will start next autumn.
It took two years and three tenders to select a contractor for the modernization of the Suburban Railway Station in Gdynia, including the renovation of the platform SKM Gdynia Główna and the creation of a monitoring center. From the beginning, one company was interested in this project, which was finally selected, although its last offer was higher than the budget by less than PLN 3 million. Construction works will start in autumn 2021.
In April 2018, Szybka Kolej Miejska announced the first tender for the “Construction of an integrated safety monitoring and information management system on the railway line No. 250 along with the modernization of the building of the Suburban Railway Station in Gdynia and the SKM platform at the Gdynia Główna station”.
Then it was renewed in April 2019 and 2020. Each time an offer was made by the company T4B from Warsaw, but it clearly did not match the budget of railwaymen, although with time less and less.
- SKM budget – PLN 34.4 million
- offer – PLN 59.3 million
- difference – PLN 24.9 million
- SKM budget – PLN 59.3 million
- offer PLN 73.7 million
- difference – PLN 14.4 million
- SKM budget – PLN 59.4 million
- offer – PLN 62.361 million
- difference – PLN 2.952 million
Two consortia took part in the last tender, besides T4B and MAXTO Technology, Poleko Budownictwo and Sprint also submitted offers – PLN 65.313 million.
They will recreate the look of the station from 60 years ago
The SKM authorities finally decided to accept a more financially advantageous offer.
– We got the owners’ consent to raise the investment budget and finally we could choose a contractor – he says Tomasz Złotoś, spokesman for SKM PKP Trójmiasto.
After signing the contract, the contractor will have to spend the first 14 months on developing the project. After that, construction work will begin and must be completed by March 31, 2023.
The historic building will be restored to its appearance from the time of its creation, i.e. from 1959.
34 days of 24/7 track difficulties
The selected consortium declared that throughout the implementation period, a maximum of 34 days, track closures will last 24 hours a day and gave 11 years of quality warranty and warranty for defects in the integrating system.
The interior of the station will be modernized with as many original elements as possible.
photo: Maciej Czarniak / trojmiasto.pl
The contractor of the renovation of the suburban railway station will be obliged to:
- Keep the original, wooden door and window joinery – possible replacement is allowed in the event of exceptionally poor technical condition.
- Keep the station’s external clock in the oculus on square background and subject to maintenance.
- Eliminate all re-introduced elements of space development in the column arcade. It concerns two service and commercial premises – “Skup i pawnshop” and “Loveat” – and a temporary gastronomic pavilion selling grilled chicken.
- Recreate the missing third entrance door from the entrance arcade to the main hall.
- Leave the inscription “Dworzec Podmiejski”, inspect and renovate it to the extent that it is possible to turn on the lettering.
- Preserve the most valuable existing elements of the checkout hall decor or subject them to conservation and restoration, and non-existing or obscured elements should be exposed or recreated.
- Modernize the ticket offices.
- Make a coherent design of visual identification for the suburban station in the form of legible and discreet plates, information elements and advertising signs for future tenants of commercial premises, adjusted in size, form and character to the historical architecture and interiors of the station.
- Remove all advertising media obscuring the elements of historical decor.
- Install the automatic glass door between the hall and the entrance to the SKM platform.
- Replace the surface in the square in front of the station with a new one.
- Install elements of small architecture (benches, litter bins) in the surroundings of the building and in its interior.
A temporary station made of containers will be built for the duration of the works.
In turn at the SKM stop the edge plates and the pavement are to be replaced, the shelter will be cleaned and painted. The underpass is to be modernized and the tracks along the entire platform will be replaced.
A management center is to be built in the station building monitoring and passenger information system at all SKM stops. Cameras and information boards are to be installed or replaced on the platforms.