Former New York Mayor, billionaire Michael Bloomberg, has acquired a $ 44.79 million ranch in the US state of Colorado. The Wall Street Journal reports citing informed sources.
A plot of 4600 acres (1.8 thousand hectares – RBC edition) was purchased from the American financier and co-founder of the company Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co Henry Kravis. The ranch is an hour’s drive from Aspen, famous for its ski resorts.
The deal was closed on April 14, about six weeks after Bloomberg refused to participate in the US presidential race.
The former owner, Kravis, bought the ranch in 1991 for about $ 5.5 million. The main house of 19 thousand square meters is located on the ranch. ft., which has five bedrooms, a wine cellar, a personal theater and a hot tub. There is also a swimming pool, a four-hole golf course, a tennis court, a helipad, a helipad, two large guest cabins and a horse carriage, as well as outbuildings for staff and horses.
Bloomberg declined to participate in the March 4 presidential campaign. He explained his decision by the desire to provide the Democrats with a victory over the current US President Donald Trump. The billionaire named former vice president Joe Biden the best candidate for this.
The Cepeda family, like many across Connecticut, is settling into a new normal.
“Only about a day has passed,” said Christian Cepeda via FaceTime. “As for the future, we’ll just have to wait and see.”
Cepeda and her mother Josefina both work at Foxwoods Resort Casino. Cepeda’s sister works in Mohegan Sun. All three family members are temporarily out of work due to the historic closure of the COVID-19 casino.
“We should all be concerned because we don’t know exactly how long it will last,” said Cepeda. “At some point you don’t know when things will pile up too high.”
Cepeda has spent the past five years working on world-class Monza Karting in the resort. Cepeda’s sister is a Mohegan Sun reseller and her mother, Josefina, has worked on Foxwoods’ maintenance team for 19 years.
“As you can imagine, his routine is completely out of his mind,” said Cepeda.
Casinos are closed for two weeks. According to a spokesman for the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Council, all members of the Foxwoods team were fired for the two weeks. I am able to use the benefit time, with all the benefits remaining in place.
Mohegan Sun president and chief executive officer Jeff Hamilton said he had made no layoffs due to the temporary shutdown.
“This is a difficult and arduous moment in which we find ourselves, even if the top priority of our leadership is to bring all the interested team members back to a reopening, at which point we have the utmost confidence that we will return stronger than ever in providing an unparalleled experience for our guests, “wrote Hamilton in a note.
Cepeda said his family is grateful that the casinos have closed to keep everyone safe. Their jobless time so far has been filled with extra family time, enjoy each other’s company.
Cepeda and her sister applied for unemployment and also helped the mother to apply for unemployment. He fears for his colleagues who don’t have access to a computer or understand how to apply for unemployment.
“My mom is lucky because my sister and I are here,” said Cepeda. “But there are many other families, many other immigrant workers and then they come to find that they lose their jobs for an uncertain number of weeks. Some don’t even know how to sign up for unemployment. You have to do it through online.”
The Connecticut Department of Labor has received over 52,000 unemployment claims since Friday March 13, which is approximately 20 times the normal amount of claims. The DOL usually received 2,500 requests per week.
According to the DOL, they are continuing to move resources to devote more staff to processing new complaints. The governor also authorized the use of overtime for this purpose.
With more unemployed people across the state, soup kitchens are preparing to serve even more meals.
The St. Vincent de Paul Place team in Norwich made changes to make meals safer. They only serve meals in travel containers and some of their older volunteers stay at home, but don’t slow down. They are preparing for even more people in the area to need help due to an increase in the laid-off workers.
“Many of these people could come to the food pantry once a month, they just needed a little bit to get over the hump,” said Jill Corbin, executive director of St. Vincent de Paul Place Norwich. “Now that I’m without those jobs, we’ll see many more.”
St. Vincent de Paul Place is asking for more volunteers to work in the kitchen and volunteers to help prepare sandwiches. The meal center serves breakfast and lunch daily. At each meal people can also take a sandwich to go.
They are also asking for supplies including travel containers and sandwich bags. Pasta, pasta sauce and jelly are just some of the items that will help keep the pantry.
The ministry canteen normally works Monday through Saturday, however, a crowded-style meal will be served on Sunday in the parking lot of downtown Cliff Street. The meal is usually served at Lee Method United Church. Due to COVID-19 concerns, the meal could not be hosted in the church. Community and faith leaders came forward to host the community meal on St. Vincent de Paul Place instead this Sunday at 1:00 pm.
Cepeda said his family is doing well and are grateful that they don’t have to take advantage of the canteen’s services at the moment. Her family is worried about their colleagues.
“He wants everyone to know that this is serious,” said Cepeda, translating for his mother. “He hopes that he returns to normal because there are many families who depend on their complete control and now their life is completely turned upside down.”
Florida’s major theme parks are taking steps to address coronavirus concerns by employing advanced cleaning practices and other preventative measures.
In a statement on Thursday, Universal Orlando officials said they have been in frequent contact with health officials and their health experts and are closely monitoring the situation.
“We are communicating with our team members and strengthening our best practice hygiene and sanitation procedures. We are also instructing them on basic preventive measures,” reads the Universal statement. “In addition, we are reviewing and improving our already aggressive cleaning protocols. And for the comfort and convenience of our guests, we are increasing the number of hand sanitizers in our parks.”
Officials at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando have said they monitor the situation and have regular contact with the CDC and other health agencies and will continue to implement preventive measures in line with their recommendations. Disney has also placed additional hand sanitizers in their parks and resorts and are communicating with cast members about disease prevention, officials said.
The Legoland Florida resort said that in addition to improving cleaning practices, they limited employee travel to high-risk countries.
Officials with Busch Gardens in Tampa have told the Tampa Bay Times that they “apply strict hygiene standards in our parks and will continue to work with health officials, monitor the situation for changes and act accordingly.”
Less than a handful of people in Florida had tested positive for COVID-19 as of Thursday, but the state was awaiting results from 69 people who had been tested, officials said.
Erika Gomez, a 24-year-old Southern California teacher living in China, was quarantined in her studio for 40 days. He shared his experience as the coronavirus continues to spread around the world.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have raised concerns about a possible pandemic epidemic in the United States for coronavirus, which has infected over 800,000 people and killed at least 2,700 worldwide.
According to the agency, only 14 cases of illness have been confirmed in the United States, none of which were in Florida.
However, they are asking the public to prepare.
“We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare for the expectation that this will be negative,” a senior CDC official told reporters in a conference call.
So if the disease reaches South Florida, what do local officials expect to do?
HEALTH AGENCIES AND MEDICAL SUPPLIERS
The Florida Department of Health says health care providers are following the strict guidelines of the CDC.
Patients who have a fever, signs of “lower respiratory disease” and have traveled to China in the past two weeks should be tested for the disease. The CDC has specific test kits for coronavirus, but health officials were unable to confirm whether Florida was one of the few states that received them.
Patients diagnosed will be asked to wear a surgical mask and be evaluated in a private room.
Nearly 10 million international passengers arrive at Miami International Airport each year – 2.3 million via Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
MIA claims not to provide projections for coronavirus to anyone who does not come from China.
They say that Americans flying to the United States from China will be diverted to the following airports:
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
San Francisco International Airport (OFS), California
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL), Georgia
Dallas / Ft. Of value
MIA is also among the 20 U.S. airports that are working with the CDC to strengthen travelers’ projections. The jurisdiction of MIA includes the Bahamas and Aruba, Florida, Alabama and Mississippi.
Miami-Dade public school superintendent Alberto Carvalho announced the district plan if coronaviruses were detected in the area.
In order to reduce direct contact between students, the superintendent says that schools will benefit from digital or “tele-education” lessons.
However, electronic lessons are a last resort if a school is to be closed.
Education of the disease will increase for school reasons and electronic services will be installed that will connect school clinics with doctors for instant information.
Carvalho also said that if necessary, alternative layoff times will be implemented, increasing school cleaning cycles.
Florida International University has announced that it would restrict access to students and faculty while canceling study abroad programs to nations dealing with the medical crisis. All trips to Italy, Japan, Singapore and South Korea are limited.
At the same time, the school is asking anyone who has visited countries – as well as China, where thousands have died in the past few weeks from the virus – or have had contact with anyone who has visited to remain in quarantine for 14 days even if they they do not have any symptoms.
Miami-Dade public schools were forced to cancel two trips abroad, including one trip to Italy.
The University of Miami has also canceled overseas study programs in China amid concerns.