Nicolas Cage, Jon Turteltaub to Star in New National Treasure

More than two decades after historian Benjamin Gates first stole the Declaration of Independence on the silver screen, the adventure franchise is officially plotting its return. Director Jon Turteltaub dropped the announcement during a live recording of the National Treasure Hunt podcast on Aug. 21, held at the Philadelphia Visitor Center during the city’s inaugural National Treasure weekend.

Director Jon Turteltaub Breaks News at Live Philadelphia Podcast Taping

Speaking before an audience of fans gathered for a weekend of free screenings and location tours on Independence Mall, the filmmaker made it clear that the long-dormant project has cleared major hurdles. According to the director, a script has not only been completed, but it has also earned formal approval from studio executives who told him it sounds like a movie they can actually make.

“It’s happening. You’re the first people I’ve said this out loud to. I have not said anything before this, but you deserve to have the scoop. It’s finally real. Now, it’s ‘Hollywood real,’ meaning things could happen. Nic gets hit by a bus, there’s no National Treasure 3. If I get hit by a bus, there’s probably a National Treasure 3. Welcome to Hollywood.”

Jon Turteltaub, Director

Nicolas Cage’s Return and the Franchise Roadmap

While no official casting roster beyond the lead star has been formally unveiled by the studio, Turteltaub indicated that the creative team intends to bring back familiar faces to whatever extent we can. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer has also given the script his blessing, according to production updates shared on social media by the podcast hosts.

Nicolas Cage in 'National Treasure' (2004)
Photo: Deadline

The path to a third feature film has faced nearly two decades of developmental delays since the release of the 2007 sequel. The original 2004 blockbuster grossed $347 million globally, while its follow-up, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, hauled in $459 million worldwide.

The franchise previously attempted a small-screen expansion with the Disney+ television spinoff National Treasure: Edge of History, which premiered in 2022. That series featured cameo appearances from franchise veterans Justin Bartha and Harvey Keitel but was canceled after a single season. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer noted during the series launch that theatrical development with Nicolas Cage remained an ongoing priority for the studio alongside television efforts.

Political Climate and Modern Realities in the Script

Turteltaub pointed to the shifting political climate in the United States as one of the primary reasons a new installment has taken nearly twenty years to materialize. The filmmaker recounted an unexpected phone call from former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who requested a private congressional screening because lawmakers on both sides of the aisle expressed surprise that a patriotic adventure film could appeal across political divides.

Nicolas Cage, Jon Turteltaub to Star in New National Treasure
Photo: Inquirer.com

Addressing the audience in Philadelphia, Turteltaub explained that the third film will not ignore contemporary cultural debates surrounding national history and public record. Instead, the narrative aims to weave those modern tensions into the plot carefully.

“We have to be very careful, but I don’t feel we are allowed to ignore it. I think we have to include that idea in the story somehow without making someone feel put off.”

Jon Turteltaub, Director

As production preparations advance under the studio’s green light, Disney has not yet established a formal release timeline or announced additional cast members for the upcoming feature.

‘National Treasure 3’ In Works, Franchise Director Reveals: “It’s Finally Real”

Leave a Comment