Two people were killed and nine were wounded after a shooter opened fire at Brown University on Saturday afternoon in the Barus & Holley engineering and physics building, where exams were taking place, according to Providence Mayor Brett Smiley and university officials.
What we know about the shooting
The incident occurred at about 4:05 p.m. when police received an active‑shooter call from the campus. Brown University immediately issued a “shelter‑in‑place” alert that instructed students and faculty to lock doors, silence phones and stay hidden.
Deputy Chief Timothy O’Hara of the Providence Police Department said investigators are working to identify everyone who was inside the building at the time. The university confirmed that multiple exams were scheduled in the engineering building between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
Law enforcement officials later described the shooting as taking place inside a first‑floor classroom, though they could not confirm whether the victims were taking an exam. An official briefed by ABC News indicated the gunfire occurred while a study group was meeting in the room.
Eyewitnesses reported the suspect, described as wearing all black, fleeing on foot through the Hope Street exit. The weapon used has not been recovered, and authorities have not disclosed how the shooter entered the building.
Officials announced that a video showing the suspect leaving the Barus & Holley building would be released later Saturday night.
Deeply tragic day for Brown
Rhode Island Hospital, where most of the injured were taken, reported one person in critical condition, six in critical but stable condition, and one in stable condition. A ninth victim suffered non‑life‑threatening injuries from fragments, not a gunshot wound.
Brown University President Christina H. Paxson said she was told the victims were university students. In an earlier letter to the community, Paxson referred to the victims as “community members” without naming them.
President Paxson later wrote, “This is a deeply tragic day for Brown, our families and our local community. There are truly no words that can express the deep sorrow we are feeling for the victims of the shooting that took place today at the Barus & Holley engineering and physics building.”
Campus remains on lockdown
Hours after the shooting, the campus remained on lockdown. Students were instructed to keep doors locked and avoid moving around the area.
President Paxson told the community, “We know our community wants answers, and we will provide them as soon as we can. For now, please know we are doing all we can to keep our community safe and have mobilized support for the students and their families.”
The mayor later clarified that an individual initially “preliminarily thought to be involved” was not a suspect, and the university corrected an earlier update that mistakenly said a suspect had been taken into custody.
President Donald Trump, briefed on the shooting, said the FBI was on the scene and expressed condolences, stating, “What a terrible thing it is, and all we can do right now is pray for the victims and for those that were very badly hurt.”
Frequently Asked Questions
What time did the shooting occur?
The shooting began around 4:05 p.m. on Saturday, according to police reports.
How many people were injured?
In addition to the two fatalities, nine people were wounded; one was injured by fragments rather than a gunshot.
Is the suspect still at large?
Authorities are conducting a manhunt for the gunman, who was seen leaving the building in all black. No suspect has been taken into custody as of the latest updates.
What steps do you think campuses should take to better prepare for emergencies like this?
