Meta is facing an existential trial in Oakland, California, where state prosecutors argue the tech giant uses a four-part business model summarized as “hook, hold, harvest, and hide” to addict young users. Opening arguments on August 19 opened a blockbuster legal battle joining California and 28 other US states against the trillion-dollar company over alleged youth harms.
California Leads 29 States in Landmark Youth Addiction Trial Against Meta
The trial centers on allegations that Meta violated federal child privacy laws and state consumer protection statutes by collecting data on children under 13 without parental permission. According to Megan O’Neill, a lawyer for the state of California, the company’s business model worked especially well for kids because it hooks users, holds them on platforms as long as possible, harvests data, and hides the truth from the public.
If found liable, Meta faces potential damages as high as $200bn, an amount matching its 2025 annual revenue. Plaintiffs are also asking Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers to force Meta to redesign its products to improve safety for children. The jury’s role in the six-to-eight-week proceeding is advisory, leaving the final decision on verdict and damages to the presiding judge.
Meta Denies Allegations and Defends Safety Tools
Meta has denied all allegations brought by the states. Liza Crenshaw, a spokesperson for the company, stated that the states chose to chase an outlandish payout rather than sticking to the facts or the law. Paul Schmidt, lead attorney for Meta, told the jury during opening statements that while people can struggle with social media, the company has developed tools to address those challenges and prohibits children under 13 from registering accounts.

Did you know? Meta previously lost the first two related US cases to go to trial in March, including a $1bn penalty ordered by New Mexico for allowing child sexual exploitation and a separate verdict finding the company liable for designing addictive products that hooked a young woman.
Former Safety Engineer Testifies on Internal Reports and Zuckerberg Emails
Arturo Béjar, a safety engineer at Meta who worked at the company between 2009 and 2021, took the stand as the star witness during the first week of the trial. Béjar testified that his motivation stemmed from his own teenage daughter’s negative experiences on Instagram, where she received unwanted sexual advances and misogynistic insults that reporting tools failed to address.
Government attorneys presented an email Béjar sent to Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg in 2021. The email detailed a survey showing 51% of teens experienced harmful content on Instagram within a seven-day period, while content was taken down only 0.02% of the time. Béjar testified that Zuckerberg never responded to the message. Meta argued that Béjar’s testimony lacked credibility and that he overinflated his role at the company.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the potential financial damages Meta faces in the trial?
If found liable, Meta faces damages as high as $200bn, which equals the company’s annual revenue.
Who is presiding over the social media addiction trial?
Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers is leading the proceedings in Oakland, California, with an eight-member jury providing an advisory recommendation.
How many US states are suing Meta in this lawsuit?
California and 28 other US states have joined together in the lawsuit against Meta.
Explore more technology and legal updates on our platform, and join the conversation by sharing your thoughts in the comments below.
Worth a look
- TikTok and ByteDance Settle DOJ Children’s Privacy Suit for $400 Million
- Warren Buffett’s Stock Market Warning: What History Says Happens Next
- Why LA28 Is Putting an Olympic Pool Inside an NFL Stadium (daybreakwire.com)
- Graeme Dott Child Abuse Trial: Snooker Champion Faces Serious Allegations (archynewsy.com)