Speaking about whether the changes, which will take effect from August 17, will also affect the organizers of large concerts, Krastiņš said that the event with 1,000 people can be considered small on average. In the case of “Arena Riga”, such concerts, when the organizer indicates at the time of concluding the contract that he is interested in 1000 visitors, are extremely rare.
The minimum number of visitors when you could talk about some kind of profit could be from 2500, 3000 viewers and up.
Asked what is currently happening with the organization of international concerts, Krastiņš pointed out that the situation is in line with what is happening. As artists are not able to move freely throughout Europe, large-scale concert tours are not economically viable, as they have to think about both the delivery of technical equipment to the venue and the service staff, which is usually quite large.
“If, for example, concerts with up to 5,000 visitors could take place in the Baltics, it does not mean that it would be economically advantageous for a group from Great Britain, Germany or France to drive ten trucks and 50 employees to Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia,” Krastiņš explained. account must also be taken of the country from which artists come and whether they do not have to comply with quarantine.
According to the Chairman of the Board of “Arena Riga”,
The international concert industry is currently waiting for the situation to improve and only then will it start planning concert tours.
The artists who were scheduled to perform in the multifunctional hall have been moved to next year. In Krastiņš’s opinion, announcing new concerts will be rare. This is closely linked to travel and not just in the European Union.
Asked how “Arena Riga” is going through the Covid-19 crisis, Krastiņš admitted that the situation is difficult.
Since March 13, no event has taken place in “Arena Riga”. All possible costs have been reduced and redundancies have taken place.
“We have used and plan to use all possible state support mechanisms and we are very grateful for them. That is how we are trying to survive in these difficult times,” said Krastiņš, noting that it is currently impossible to plan something long-term, because “uncertainty is our new reality “.
The Chairman of the Board of the Hall indicated that the Continental Hockey League season will resume in September and “Dinamo Rīga” will start playing “Arena Riga” home games. In Krastiņš’s opinion, it will be small, but still the beginning for some life to return to “Arena Riga”.
“Previously, more than 250 people worked for events in the hall. Now most of the jobs have been laid off. Resuming operations, albeit to a small extent, will help reduce losses. We are not talking about profits, but about efforts to reduce the big deficit,” said Krastiņš.
Asked whether the Continental Hockey League plans to create something similar to the National Basketball Association, creating the so-called “Disneyland bubble”, the chairman of the board of “Arena Riga” answered in the negative. It is planned that Russian teams will arrive in Riga and play the games in compliance with Latvian laws and restrictions, as well as the guidelines developed by the Continental Hockey League.
“To put it simply, I can say that they will get in the ‘bubble’ and the bubble will leave. The only contact between the hockey players will be on the ice. All risks are minimized so that the athletes do not meet the locals and vice versa. We also understand that
if the situation worsens, it will also affect the course of the games, “said Krastiņš, noting that preparations are underway for such a scenario.