The past few days have been eventful for Microsoft ! The firm of Redmond at first formalized the existence of the Xbox Series S, his second console next-gen, but she also and above all confirmed the price and release date of the Xbox Series X. At the same time, the American company has confirmed that his offer Xbox All Access would finally be launched in France.
Microsoft’s good idea is therefore to make something existing into a marketing tool, both for its consoles, but also and above all for its services.
This news unleashes passions: some see it as a stroke of genius to Microsoft, others a simple communication stunt that claims to reinvent the wheel. We have decided to offer you a summary article which therefore goes back to what the Xbox All Access, what it offers, its real cost, etc.
What does the Xbox All Access ?
- The Xbox All Access is an “all-in” offer that includes a console and a subscription to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. The gamer pays a monthly fee ($ 24.99 / month for Xbox Series S, $ 32.99 / month for Xbox Series X) for two years, and at the end of that period, the console is theirs.
Xbox All Access : subscription or credit?
- The Xbox All Access includes a subscription to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. In fact, many people consider this offer to be a subscription. However, it is indeed a credit. This implies that the interested player will have to apply for credit from one of the brands offering the offer (in France, Fnac and Micromania). His professional situation and his income will be taken into account, as well as his expenses and other credits in progress.
How much does it cost ?
- Depending on the console next-gen chosen, the prices are as follows: € 24.99 / month for the Xbox Series S, € 32.99 / month for the Xbox Series X. Here is a table to compare the offer to separate purchases:
|Console price||24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate||Total separate purchases||Prix total Xbox All Access|
|Xbox Series S||299,99 €||311,76 €||611,75 €||599,76 €|
|Xbox Series X||499,99 €||811,75 €||791,76 €|
- Pour la Xbox Series S, the offer Xbox All Access is needed and even saves ten euros compared to separate purchases. Regarding the Xbox Series X, the economy climbs to 20 euros.
Is the offer really revolutionary?
- Yes and no. No, because the fact of offering a loan for the purchase of a good is far from being a new idea. Many brands also offer to pay for purchases in several monthly installments, with higher or lower interest rates.
- The fact of including an additional service in the credit offer is not completely innovative either; this possibility already exists in other fields, in particular the automobile, where certain dealers propose to integrate the maintenance costs of a vehicle in the credit.
- Finally, the slogan “dive into the new generation from € 24.99 per month” is reminiscent of the catchphrases for car manufacturer advertisements, which highlight the possibility of driving a new vehicle from a certain monthly amount.
- What can be considered revolutionary in this offer of Microsoft, it is simply the fact of offering such a possibility in the world of video games and giving it visibility with a name and an advertising campaign. Of course, it is already possible to get a console and pay for it in several installments at different resellers. But each brand has its offer, interest rates, conditions, etc. Here, Microsoft highlights a unique offer that can be found at each participating store. The only difference could be made at the level of the organization granting the credits (Cofidis for Micromania, CA Consumer Finance for Fnac): one company could have stricter or more flexible requirements than another as to the conditions for granting the loan.
Who is this offer for?
- The Xbox All Access is intended for players who want one of the consoles and have a real interest in the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. If this service of Microsoft does not interest them, if they do not play online or if they are not tempted by the xCloud, the program immediately becomes less interesting since it imposes the XGPU. For example, if a player is satisfied with the Xbox Game Pass classic, the offer Xbox All Access will cost him € 60 more than separate purchases for the Xbox Series S (€ 599.76 in All Access against € 539.75 in separate purchases). For the Series X, the difference is around 50 euros (€ 791.76 in All Access against 739.75 € in separate purchases).
As said above, Microsoft is not the first to offer the possibility of payment in monthly installments in the field of video games, several brands already have similar offers. But where the latter generally had little visibility, Microsoft decided to create an “all-in” offer, to give it a name and to promote it on a large scale. The good idea of Microsoft is therefore to turn something existing into a marketing tool, both for its consoles, but also and above all for its services.
As we calculated, the offer is interesting for both the Xbox Series S (10 euros savings) and the Series X (20 euros savings). The condition for the offer to be really interesting is of course to have an interest in the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. The player who is content with Xbox Game Pass classic, or Xbox Live Gold alone, will have less interest in turning to this service.
The program is sold as an “ all-in ”, so it makes sense that Microsoft put everything in it. Some will regret not having flexibility, being able to “customize” the offer with a different subscription. For these, as explained above, it is always possible to inquire with different resellers to see the possibilities of monthly payments, and to take the subscription that suits them on the side.
As a reminder, Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X will be available from November 10. You can already register sure Amazon to be notified of the opening of pre-orders on September 22.
Update : Microsoft formalized the price of € 32.99 for the Xbox All Access with the Xbox Series X, we’ve adjusted the article and our calculations accordingly.