Photo credit: WWE
WWE SmackDown October 23 Recap
WWE SmackDown Orlando, ThunderDome
Commentators are Michael Cole and Corey Graves.
– Tonight it’s WWE SmackDown, the blue show kicks off with the commentators welcoming us. Kevin Owens is in the ring for a KO Show. Owens welcomes us to the first KO Show in his new home (SmackDown). His first guest is a former 4 times WWE champion and he is one of the wrestlers with the most technical skills to have set foot in this ring, here is Daniel Bryan! The latter arrives in the ring.
Kevin Owens thanks him for being his guest and for naming him last week in the names he would like to show. They have already faced each other. Bryan goes on to say that they pushed each other to make the other better and that’s what he wants. Owens asks him who he wants to see for the future of SmackDown. Bryan replies that he wants SmackDown to have the best talent. They were successful, they have the best young talent in the world. They have people like Jey Uso and Big E. He wants to see what happens next. SmackDown would be better for everyone if there was one title defended every week on the show and that would be the Intercontinental title.
Kevin Owens says it’s a good idea and speaking of the title, Owens has never won the tag team titles. Bryan replies that Owens betrayed a lot of friends. Owens speaks again and tells him to move on and imagine what would happen if they were in a team … Team Hell-KO? Bryan replies that that would mean Owens and Kane would be partners. Owens says they would be better than Bryan and Kane. Dolph Ziggler’s music begins and he arrives with Robert Roode. Ziggler says he heard them talk about young talent, so he wanted to tell them about it. They like to party, why weren’t they invited? Roode goes on to say that they were talking about a fantasy team, but they should be talking about the two biggest acquisitions of SmackDown instead. Street Profits arrive on the scene and let it be known that they are happy to be at SmackDown. Shinsuke Nakamura and Cesaro also arrive and say that the two men who carried this division are not respected.
Daniel Bryan says they should test Kevin Owens’ theory and be as a team now. A fight explodes between the teams.
8-Man Tag Team Match
Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford), Daniel Bryan et Kevin Owens vs Dolph Ziggler, Cesaro, Shinsuke Nakamura et Robert Roode
At the end of the match, Montez Ford does a Frog Splash on Cesaro to give victory to his team.
Winners: Street Profits, Daniel Bryan and Kevin Owens
– It’s time for Otis’ trial. Ron Simmons is the bailiff and JBL is the judge. He leaves the floor to Miz’s lawyer, but the latter stops him. He says he’s here to tell the truth. He’s there to right the wrong and take the briefcase out of Otis’ hands and put it in the hands of an honorable Superstar. The Miz is that Superstar in question. John Morrison is happy with Miz’s speech.
Otis simply says he deserves the contract because he won the Money in the Bank Ladder Match. Miz’s lawyer says it’s a good point and Miz tells her she’s fired.
To be continued…
– Behind the scenes, Street Profits, Daniel Bryan and Kevin Owens are celebrating. Bryan is joined by Sami Zayn who tells him that he heard him denounce him on his way of defending the title. He doesn’t share Bryan’s vision and he’ll do whatever he wants for the title defenses. He has already beaten several talents, including Daniel Bryan. He tells him to keep what he thinks in your head and he will do what he wants as long as he is champion.
Bianca Belair vs Zelina Vega
At the end of the match, Belair does his KOD for the pinfall victory.
Winner: Bianca Belair
– In the ring, Kayla Braxton asks Shorty G why he accepted this match against Lars Sullivan. Shorty G replies that he’s always been and he hasn’t been drafted to RAW or SmackDown, so he’s going to prove he’s still a part of SmackDown.
Lars Sulivan vs Shorty G
At the end of the match, Lars Sullivan did his Freak Accident on Shorty G for the pinfall victory, after a short encounter.
Winner: Lars Sullivan
– After the match, Kayla Braxton asks Shorty G how he is feeling. Shorty G replies that he is resigning!
– Behind the scenes, a doctor is with Shorty G. Adam Pearce arrives and looks back on what Shorty G. has just announced. The latter says he is resigning, he is fed up with being defined by his size, that’s the get nowhere. He will therefore become the man who can do what he wants. That man is Chad Gable.
– Bayley comes into the ring and says she can’t believe she’s coming here to talk about this, but she’s had 4 interviews and they only told her about Sasha Banks. They asked her if she was afraid of Banks. Banks doesn’t deserve anything and she won’t give him what she wants. Bayley did what she did because she wanted to end Banks, but Banks became a pain in the ass.
Bayley will not sign the contract, Banks is not his “Boss”. Sasha Banks arrives in the ring with the contract in hand. Bayley says she won’t sign it and wants to hit her with the chair but Banks avoids her. Banks takes the belt and tells Bayley to sign but Bayley tries to take the belt from him. Banks knees her and wedges her head in the chair. Bayley tries to remove the chair but Banks corner her further and forces her to sign the contract. Bayley signs the contract.
– Back to Otis trial. John Morrison testifies to the trauma they suffered. It’s not the physical scars that hurt the most, but the ones inside. Rey Mysterio says there were 8 at Money in the Bank and Otis won. He deserves his briefcase. Asuka speaks in Japanese, JBL asks if they understood … Teddy Long shows up and says he wrote down all the words. Tucker says Otis is his best friend, the Miz has crossed the line and he deserves everything that happens to him. The Miz starts to get angry with Tucker and Ron Simmons tells them to calm down. JBL wants to deliver its verdict.
JBL says something is missing and it’s the truth. It is assumed that Otis is responsible for the emotional distress and the hostile work environment. It’s part of being a WWE Superstar. It is true that Otis has not yet cashed his briefcase and he has a year to do so. JBL was going to give his verdict but Miz asks him one more thing. He forgot to give him any evidence. Ron Simmons gives JBL a briefcase and the latter slices in favor of Miz. Otis will have to face the Miz in Hell in a Cell and the winner will keep the briefcase.
Seth Rollins vs Murphy
At the end of the match, Murphy carries Seth Rollins on his shoulders but Rollins manages to get back on his feet then puts Murphy down, before going on with a Black Out for the victory by pinfall.
Gagnant : Seth Rollins
– After the match, Seth Rollins takes a Kendo Stick. Behind the scenes, Aalyah Mysterio tells her father and brother to go help Murphy but they refuse. Aalyah goes there alone and Rollins hits Murphy with kendo Stick punches. Aalyah steps into the ring and tells him to stop. Dominik Mysterio arrives in the ring and gets angry with Aalyah, but Rollins attacks him. Rey Mysterio also arrives with a chair, but Rollins runs away. Aalyah Mysterio and Murphy hug each other.
– Roman Reigns and Paul Heyman arrive in the ring. We see a Uso backstage with a bandana, instead of Roman Reigns. He says it must be great to be a Tribe chief. Jey Uso attacks Roman Reigns from behind and a fight breaks out between the two men. Jey Uso takes a chair and wants to hit Reigns, but the latter avoids him and then takes the chair. Uso manages to knock him down and gives him a Frog Splash. Jimmy Uso arrives and the brothers leave on the stage.
Roman Reigns gets up and says that Jey Uso doesn’t understand. Reigns understands. If Reigns gives up, he won’t be the Universal Champion anymore, the face of WWE, he won’t be at the end of the table anymore. But he can still live. If Reigns makes him quit, will Uso still be able to live on after recognizing and respecting him for who he is in WWE and what he does for their family? If he can’t, he will no longer be part of the family, and neither will his brother. Their wife, children, children of their children will no longer be part of the family. It’s the consequences.
The cage goes down and the show ends with Jey Uso going up on the cage.