Monday, 10 Dec 2018
News

The memory of Pearl Harbor takes place in the absence of a single survivor of the USS Arizona

Smoke and flames rise from USS Arizona during the Japanese attack of December 7, 1941 on Pearl Harbor. (US Navy / AP) Amy B Wang Mission reporter covering national news and breaking news – December 7 at 1:06 pm – Just before 8 am local time on December 7, 1941, Japanese fighter planes break the silence Sunday at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. It was an attack on the United States that would soon tilt the country into World War II. Despite a radiogram that was urgently sent to all US armed forces present in the area ("AIRRAID ON PEARL HARBOR X, THIS IS NOT A DRILLING"), the surprise attack destroyed or damaged more than a dozen US ships and hundreds of aircraft. But it was the USS Arizona that suffered the greatest loss of life: of the 1,512 on board, only 300 remained. The ship sits at the bottom of the harbor, as well as the remains of hundreds. Victims Over the decades, those who fled the USS Arizona before it sank were integral to the memorials and events marking the attack, a day passed certainly under the sign of infamy . But Friday, for the first time in more than seven decades, There will be no survivors of the USS Arizona at the commemoration of the 77th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in Hawaii, there are only five survivors left from the USS Arizona: Lauren Bruner, 98, Lou Conter, 97, Lonnie Cook, 98; Ken Potts, 97; and Don Stratton, 96. None of them were able to visit Oahu this year, the Associated Press reported. In 2014, the Republic of Arizona visited all survivors of the USS Arizona – there were nine still alive at that time – and released lengthy interviews with aging veterans. What emerged from it were moving stories and memories of an attack that changed their lives. Most could still remember intense details on this Sunday morning, even if a few decades, or even decades later, could not bring themselves to talk about their comrades who had not escaped. For years, elderly survivors of the USS Arizona have faithfully returned to Oahu to participate in commemorative ceremonies of the attack. As in previous years, Friday's events include military fighter jets flying over the harbor in formation of "Missing Man" and the ringing bell of the USS Arizona bell. One of the survivors, Ken Potts, described the Oahu attack memorial – the value of the Pacific National Monument for the Second World War – as "one of the best memorials I have ever seen," according to the Republic. Ray Chavez, formerly the oldest surviving survivor, died less than three weeks ago, at the age of 106. In May, Chavez visited President Trump at the White House, who had tweeted the memory of the veteran after his death. We are saddened to learn that the oldest veteran of Pearl Harbor, Ray Chavez, died at the age of 106 years. We had the honor of receiving him at the White House earlier this year. Thank you for your service to our great nation, Ray! pic.twitter.com/CA7Xdcxz89– The White House (@WhiteHouse) November 22, 2018 "We are fortunate to have five survivors from Arizona," said Daniel Martinez, chief historian of the Pacific National Monument for World War II, at the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. "At the age of 95 and older, it's remarkable that they have that longevity, and that always keeps us convinced that someone could tell us what happened – because that they have witnessed. " The Death of Every Survivor of the USS Arizona, However, let's remember it gently, we are further and further away from one of the most shocking events in history: fewer than 500,000 veterans of the Second World War are still alive, according to the US Department of Veterans Affairs – about 348 World War II veterans dying. Kasey Cross, a visitor to Pearl Harbor, told Hawaii News Now that one of the five survivors still alive, Conter, 97, said it was one of the most "Doctor orders" that prevented him from traveling from his home in Grass Valley, California, to Oahu this year, according to the newspaper Union.But the nonagenarian boldly predicted what will be the 78th commemoration of the attack. 2019. "I'll be back next year," Conter told the newspaper.
Louis A. Conter, survivor of World War II and USS Arizona, is holding a photo of himself and President George HW Bush, taken during a previous Remembrance Day at Pearl Harbor, the Thursday, December 6, 2018, in Grass Valley, California. Conter, who was part of the US Navy, survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during the Second World War on December 7, 1941, while USS Arizona Hawaii. (Elias Funez / The Union via AP) For more information: The United States was looking for the enemy near Pearl Harbor – but they were looking in the wrong direction. The attack of Pearl Harbor: unforgettable photos of the bombing. One died in Pearl Harbor, the other lived. Seventy-five years later, they will be reunited. .

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: