Sword Attack at Swedish High School Leaves Several Injured

Fagersta School Sword Attack Leaves Three Injured as Police Detain Suspect in Central Sweden

A man armed with a sword severely injured two teenage boys and a third person at Brinellskolan in Fagersta, central Sweden, on Friday, August 21, 2026, according to local authorities and emergency services. Police detained one suspect at the scene following an alarm received at 1406 local time (1206 GMT), according to a police spokesperson cited by Reuters. Authorities confirmed there was no longer any active danger to the public, though officials declined to comment on whether anyone had sustained fatal injuries.

Medical Response and Extent of Injuries

Two of the victims arrived at medical facilities with serious injuries, according to Jonas Cederberg, director of health and medical services for the Västmanland county authority. A third injured person was en route for treatment, leaving the exact severity of their condition unclear during the initial emergency response. Erik Bergman, a press officer for Västmanland county, confirmed to the Associated Press that classes were in session for the autumn term when the assault occurred at the upper secondary facility, which serves roughly 400 to 500 students aged 16 to 20.

Suspect Profile and Eyewitness Accounts

Public broadcaster SVT reported, citing unnamed sources, that the detained suspect is an 18-year-old former student of the school with a previous conviction for assault, who allegedly wore a helmet and carried a sword during the incident. Daily newspaper Expressen reported that police shot the suspect, though Reuters could not immediately confirm that detail. Student Abdulrahem Salmo told SVT that he witnessed a victim suffering from a bloody arm wound before students fled the area in fear. Madelene Jansson told local newspaper Fagersta-posten that she rushed to the scene after receiving a text message from her daughter stating that someone had been stabbed.

Broader Security Context and Official Reactions

Following the attack, municipal authorities in the town of 13,000 inhabitants briefly placed several nearby schools and public buildings under lockdown before lifting the restrictions. The Västmanland county authority activated a high-alert status to marshal regional resources, while the city government established a crisis center in a nearby sports hall. Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson cancelled a planned speech scheduled for Saturday and wrote on X that his thoughts were with those affected. Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer stated that the Swedish government remained in close contact with police regarding the investigation.

Did you know?

Brinellskolan is an upper secondary school in Fagersta with approximately 450 to 500 enrolled students. The attack took place shortly after the institution reopened following the summer recess.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where did the attack take place?

The assault occurred at Brinellskolan, a high school in the central Swedish town of Fagersta, according to municipal officials.

From Instagram — related to sword attack swedish high, Brinellskolan Fagersta

How many people were injured?

Three people, including two teenage boys, were injured in the sword attack, according to regional health authorities and the Associated Press.

Has a suspect been arrested?

Yes, police detained one person at the scene and confirmed that there is no ongoing threat to the public, according to Reuters.

To stay updated on developing news across Sweden, subscribe to our daily newsletter or explore our related coverage of regional security events.

LIVE: Several Injured in Sword Attack at Swedish High School in Fagersta | APT

Leave a Comment