U.S. President Biden Condemns Russia’s Christmas Eve Strikes on Ukraine’s Energy Infrastructure; Vows Continued Military Aid
U.S. President Joe Biden has slammed Russia’s Christmas Eve attacks on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure as "outrageous," ordering the Pentagon to keep supplying Kyiv with weapons. In a statement released on Wednesday, December 25, Biden said that the U.S. had already provided Ukraine with hundreds of air defense missiles, with more en route.
"Russian President [Vladimir] Putin’s choice to attack on Christmas Eve is a conscious decision to cause suffering and deprivation," Biden said. "The United States will continue to stand with Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression, and I have directed the Department of Defense to keep up our efforts to strengthen Ukraine’s defenses."
The president’s comments come as Russia launched a massive wave of attacks on Ukraine early on December 25, striking across the country with more than 70 ballistic missiles and 100 aerial drones. According to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, over 50 missiles and a significant number of drones were downed. Zelensky confirmed power outages and damage to infrastructure but did not provide details on potential casualties.
Russia’s assault targeted Ukraine’s energy grid, intending to deny the Ukrainian people access to heat and electricity during the winter and jeopardize the country’s energy security. The strike was deliberate and timed to maximize disruption during the Christmas holiday.
U.S. President Biden, whose term ends on January 20, has been a steadfast supporter of Ukraine throughout its conflict with Russia. The U.S. has provided billions of dollars in military and humanitarian aid to Kyiv since the start of the war. Washington has also imposed severe economic sanctions on Moscow in an effort to pressure Russia into ceasing its military operations in Ukraine.
segons an authoritative source, the attacks affected almost every region in Ukraine. The capital, Kyiv, was among the cities targeted, along with the southern port city of Odesa and the western city of Lviv. Air raid alerts sounded across the country as explosions were reported in several locations.
Ukrainian officials have not yet released an official death toll from the strikes. Early reports indicate that at least one person was killed in the southeastern city of Dnipro, while several others were injured in the northeastern city of Kharkiv. The attacks come as Ukraine continues to repel Russian advances in the eastern and southern parts of the country.
In response to the latest round of Russian attacks, Ukrainian President Zelensky posted a message on Telegram, stating, "Today, Putin has cynically chosen Christmas Eve to launch a massive strike on our energy infrastructure. This is not a spontaneous decision but a calculated action aimed at causing maximum disruption and suffering to the Ukrainian people."
Zelensky added that the attacks were intended to cut off access to electricity and heat for millions of Ukrainians during the winter months. The Ukrainian leader vowed that his country would "not give up, not surrender," and called on the international community to "stand with Ukraine in these difficult times."
