California’s Next Governor Faces Major Health Insurance Crisis

California faces a projected surge in its uninsured population, with the number of residents under 65 expected to nearly double from 2.4 million to 4.6 million by 2030, according to a May analysis by the University of California, Berkeley Labor Center. The anticipated increase stems from recently enacted state and federal cuts to Medicaid and Affordable Care Act marketplaces, creating a fiscal and operational challenge for the state’s next governor as federal safety nets shrink.

Federal Cuts and Local Impacts on California’s Healthcare System

Federal funding accounts for one-third of California’s state budget and more than 60% of spending by Medi-Cal, the state’s Medicaid program. According to Miranda Dietz, healthcare program director at the UC Berkeley Labor Center, these shifts could cost California about 200,000 jobs, primarily within the healthcare industry. Hospital executives report rising levels of unpaid medical bills, while experts warn that health plans will likely increase premiums to offset the costs of insuring a sicker and more expensive pool of enrollees.

“It’s triage,” Jessica Altman, executive director of the state-run health insurance marketplace Covered California, said according to source material. “That’s what the next governor is walking into.”

The policy shift arrives alongside legislative and executive actions from Gov. Gavin Newsom, who has frozen enrollment for immigrants without legal status, enacted monthly premiums for some participants, and scheduled only temporary backfills for federal assistance directed at legal immigrants and refugees. Newsom and state lawmakers agreed to delay certain cuts until July 2027, leaving the incoming administration to balance further rollbacks against potential tax increases.

Did you know? Secretary of Health and Human Services Xavier Becerra, the percentage of Americans with health insurance reached a historic high of 92%, representing 310 million people in 2024, according to federal figures.

Gubernatorial Candidates Propose Contrasting Solutions

The impending coverage cliff has become a central issue in the race to succeed Newsom between Democrat Xavier Becerra and Republican Steve Hilton. Becerra, who helped pass and defend the Affordable Care Act as both a U.S. congressman and health secretary, campaigned in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo on August 18. He has pledged to issue an executive order to maintain insurance coverage for those affected by federal rollbacks.

At a Politico policy forum, Becerra stated that Californians would not lose health coverage, pointing to potential savings extracted from industry waste. “I’m going to ask them to help me extract some of that waste and put it into healthcare, which helps us cover the cost of keeping Californians insured,” Becerra said. However, he has not detailed how the state would backfill up to $30 billion in annual federal funding.

On the opposing side, Hilton, a former Fox News commentator and Republican candidate, campaigned at a Pomona hotel on July 27. Hilton has proposed cutting off state-funded healthcare coverage for residents without legal status and using the resulting savings to issue state income tax breaks. “We all understand that the healthcare system is a mess and needs major reform,” Hilton said in an interview. “The quickest thing we can do on healthcare costs is actually to tax people less.”

Policy Reversals and Consumer Consequences

The second Trump administration has tightened enrollment windows and increased income reporting requirements following the passage of the One Big Beautiful Bill Act by a Republican-led Congress last summer. The legislation aims to reduce Medicaid spending by over $900 billion across a decade. Additionally, the expiration of enhanced premium tax credits for Obamacare plans last year drove up costs for middle-income Americans, lowering marketplace enrollment by nearly 3 million this year.

“We are now witnessing almost a wholesale reversal of pretty much all those policies” that previously expanded coverage, said Sabrina Corlette, co-director of the Center on Health Insurance Reforms at Georgetown University.

For individuals like 28-year-old Eric Maciel, monthly plan costs reaching $800 make coverage financially unfeasible. Maciel reported altering his daily habits to avoid injury and skipping recreational sports. “That’s another car note,” Maciel said. “I’d be left with nothing.” Health economists note that losing young, healthy enrollees like Maciel destabilizes insurance risk pools, driving up average costs for remaining participants.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is driving the projected increase in uninsured Californians?

According to the UC Berkeley Labor Center, the rise is driven by recently enacted state and federal cuts to Medicaid and Affordable Care Act marketplaces, alongside the expiration of enhanced federal premium tax credits.

California governor candidates on California’s insurance crisis

How much federal funding is at risk for California?

California stands to lose as much as $30 billion in annual federal healthcare funding due to policy rollbacks and legislative changes enacted in Washington, D.C.

What are the proposed solutions from the gubernatorial candidates?

Democrat Xavier Becerra has pledged to issue executive orders and pressure health industry entities to eliminate waste to cover insured residents. Republican Steve Hilton advocates cutting off state-funded coverage for undocumented immigrants to finance state income tax breaks and lower overall costs.

How does Medicaid funding affect the state budget?

Federal funds account for one-third of California’s overall budget and more than 60% of spending by Medi-Cal, the state’s Medicaid program.


Join the Conversation: How do you think California should address the upcoming changes to health insurance funding? Share your perspective in the comments below, or subscribe to our newsletter for ongoing updates on state policy.

374,000 Californians drop Covered California health insurance

Leave a Comment