PDIP Spokesman Slams Bahlil’s ‘Illogical’ Defense of Jokowi‘s Third Term Bid
JAKARTA, KOMPAS TV — PDI Perjuangan (PDIP) spokesman Guntur Romli has criticized Golkar Party chairman Bahlil Lahadalia‘s defense of President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) amid allegations of a third-term presidential bid, deeming it "illogical" and counterproductive.
Guntur argued that Bahlil’s argument actually strengthens public suspicions about coordination behind the idea, rather than dispelling them. "Bahlil’s defense is illogical. First, the idea of a third term wasn’t just Bahlil’s; it was also floated by other party chairs like Airlangga Hartarto, Muhaimin Iskandar, Zulkifli Hasan, and ministers like Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, Tito Karnavian, and former MPR chair, Bambang Soesatyo," Guntur told Kompas.TV on Wednesday (1/1/2025).
He added that the lack of repercussions from Jokowi towards Bahlil after he proposed delaying the 2024 presidential election further indicates potential coordination. "Jokowi never reprimanded or punished Bahlil. Yet, Jokowi was reportedly furious when others suggested the same thing. Instead, Bahlil got closer to Jokowi, becoming Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources, and eventually Golkar’s chairman. This doesn’t show a troubled relationship, but rather a very loyal and close one," Guntur said.
Previously, Bahlil defended Jokowi against accusations of seeking a third term. He claimed the idea to extend the president’s tenure or delay the 2024 election originated from him, citing the economic downturn due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, Guntur believes Bahlil’s defense only worsens public perception of the issue.
"Defenses like this, along with Jokowi’s denial of a third term, have become a laughing stock among the public. People aren’t easily fooled; the evidence is already crystal clear," Guntur concluded.
Read more: Bahlil Defends Jokowi After Accusations of Seeking Third Term: ‘Broken Cassette, That’s All’
