– Based on the information we have now, it is a hypothesis that the injuries may have occurred as a result of an accident or a fall or the like, says acting police station chief Sigrid Dahl at Grenland police station in a press release.
– We will get more clarity in this when we have questioned the offended, she continues.
The police are not looking for a specific perpetrator.
Witnesses found the injured man in his 50s at 6.30 pm on Wednesday and reported to the police. This led to an armed action by the police, and both dog patrols and helicopters assisted in the search for a perpetrator.
Hikers were asked to stay away from Åletjern and Ugleveien in Skien.
– We understand that this was experienced as frightening for those who live in the immediate area. It is important to say that based on the information we now have, we have no reason to say that those who live in the immediate area should feel insecure, says Dahl.
No knife inside the picture
Police first reported that it was a stabbing, but had changed theory on Wednesday morning.
– There is no reason to believe that there has been a knife in the picture here. He himself said that he had been stabbed, and the person in question was taken to hospital fairly quickly , says Erik Gunnerød in Sørøst police district to VG.
The police spoke to the man, and the action was stepped down after this conversation.
– There has been no active search last night, and as the situation is now, we have no reason to believe that there has been a man out in the woods, he says.
It should only have been about surface injuries, and the man has now been discharged from the hospital.