(ANSA) – AGRIGENTO, 24 JUN – 28 migrants, saved in
international waters by the ship’s Sea Watch, and embarked on the
ship-quarantine Moby Zaza, which is in the harbour of Porto Empedocle
(Agrigento), that were positive to the Covid-19. The pads
rino-pharyngeal on 209 non-eu citizens present on the Moby Zaza
were made in the morning of yesterday. And in less than 24
hours arrived the outcome. Just yesterday evening he had been made known
that one of the migrants landed from the Sea Watch was
hospitalized to the infectious Diseases hospital “Sant’elia” of
Caltanissetta. Initially, it was a case of suspected tuberculosis.
(ANSA) – BRINDISI, MAY 11 – On various charges of
smuggling of cigarettes and the drug Cialis, on boarding
arbitrary smuggling of goods on a military ship, of
embezzlement of use, of instigation to corruption and corruption for
acts contrary to official duties and false, six people, five
of which military of the Italian Navy, have been
subject to precautionary measures (one in prison, four ai
domiciliary and one with an obligation to stay). The investigation, coordinated
from the prosecutor of Brindisi, starts from a check on the ship
Caprera, arrived in the port of Brindisi from Tripoli on July 15th
2018. The ship had been sold from Italy to Libya
as part of the ‘Safe Sea’ operation for the expansion
the contrast of illegal immigration. The checks are
were carried out by the finance guard and the captaincy of
An Iranian warship was hit by a missile during naval maneuvers in the Arabian Sea on Sunday, May 10. A friendly fire that left 19 dead in the context of tensions between Iran and the United States in the waters of the Persian Gulf.
The accident occurred in the afternoon near the port area of Bandar-e Jask, off the southern coast of the Islamic Republic of Iran, state television said on Monday, May 11. The Konarak, a logistics support vessel, was hit “ after moving an exercise target to its destination, without creating sufficient distance between it and the target Added the television. She did not specify the total number of crew members at the time of the accident.
→ READ. Washington wants to extend embargo on arms sold to Iran
In a statement, the Iranian army reported 19 dead and 15 injured in a “ accident “Involving the Konarak during an exercise, without providing further details. The vessel was towed ashore for ” technical surveys “Added the statement, calling for” avoid speculation Until the publication of more information.
The Iranian news agency Tasnim said in an English tweet that ” Konarak was struck by friendly fire, as Jamaran’s frigate accidentally hit it with a missile during a live fire exercise in Persian Gulf waters on May 10 ” The 15 injured were hospitalized in south-eastern Sistan-Baluchistan province, a local medical source said in the Isna news agency. Two of them were admitted to intensive care. Iranian chief of staff and chief of diplomacy Mohammad Javad Zarif extended condolences to the families of the victims in separate statements.
Made in the Netherlands, the logistics support vessel Konarak was bought by Iran before the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Weighing 447 tonnes and 47 meters in length, the ship is equipped with four cruise missiles installed on board, according to state television.
The Arabian Sea is located between Iran and the Sultanate of Oman, at the edge of the crucial Strait of Hormuz, through which much of the world’s oil transits and where a coalition led by the United States operates. This area of the Gulf, including the Strait of Hormuz, is experiencing chronic tension. Western ships have patrolled there regularly since last year to ensure freedom of navigation after several incidents involving the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological army of the Iranian regime.
The last Iranian-American incident dates back to April 15. The United States then reported that eleven Iranian boats had harassed their ships, in what it described as international waters of the Gulf accusing Iran of ” dangerous maneuvers “At sea. US President Donald Trump then said he ordered” for the US Navy to shoot down and destroy any Iranian craft that harass our ships at sea “
→ READ. Pax Christi calls on US to suspend sanctions on Iran
The two countries, enemies for more than 40 years, have been at loggerheads since the United States’ unilateral denunciation in 2018 of the Iranian international nuclear agreement.
(ANSA) – MILAN, MAY 8 – Reinforced checks in the area of
Navigli in Milan, finished at the center of controversy for the
gatherings last night, with the mayor Giuseppe Sala che
today he threatened to close the area. In piazza XXIV Maggio
there are two local police cars, one of the police and one
of the finance guard, with the agents who patrol on foot
Policemen and policemen also go up and down the two sides
del Naviglio Grande, where locals start opening for
takeaway aperitif (many with signs recommending
avoid crowds) but customers are still in short supply.
Puzzled one of the restaurateurs who called the forces yesterday
of the order for the itinerant hut around which you are
created a crowd of about fifty people: “Thus the Navigli
they seem militarized, four policemen were enough
The Russian Geographical Society published underwater surveys at the site of the death of the “Armenia” motor ship in 1941. The catastrophe claimed more lives than the death of the Titanic, and they could not detect the sunken ship for 79 years.
Motor ship “Armenia”
(Photo: Soviet government / wikipedia.org)
Researchers who discovered the sanitary ship “Armenia” sunk by German aircraft in 1941 at the bottom of the Black Sea published a video of underwater filming at the place of the ship’s death. The recording was posted on the channel of the Center for Underwater Research of the Russian Geographical Society on YouTube.
“Almost immediately it became clear that this is exactly what we are looking for. First of all, sizes. The characteristic size and shape of the superstructure, which at “Armenia” amounted to almost two-thirds, or even more of the total length. We found a ship’s bell on the very nose, aka bazaar, on which the name of the transport ship is embossed. So the mistake here is absolutely excluded, ”said Sergei Fokin, Executive Director of the Center for the Geographic Studies of the Russian Geographical Society.
The death of the civil ship “Armenia” is considered one of the largest marine disasters in history. The exact number of victims is still not known; presumably from six to ten thousand people were on board the “Armenia”. However, the exact place where the ship died during 79 years was not known.
At the Kostolac coal mine in Serbia, miners discovered three river vessels probably dating from Roman times, reports the scientific news site Ulyces, taking up information published by the American site Ars Technica, on April 8.
While digging with excavation equipment, mine operators fell to the bed of an ancient river. Under seven meters of silt and clay, three boats, one large and two small, lay on a layer of gravel.
The large, flat-bottomed boat about 15 meters long was advancing with a sail and six pairs of oars. Even though the earth-moving machinery partially damaged it, it was exceptionally well preserved, says director of the Belgrade Institute of Archeology Miomir Korac. According to him, this large boat would probably be a Roman warship. In fact, the Kostolac mine, about 90 kilometers east of Belgrade, is both on the banks of the Danube and a dozen kilometers from Viminacium.
Viminacium, one of the largest Roman cities in the Balkans
Viminacium was a strategic military center, a naval base and one of the largest Roman cities in the Balkans, in the first centuries of our era, before it was destroyed in the 5th and 6th centuries. Today it is a major archaeological site in Serbia. The other two small boats, simple boats cut from a tree trunk, are a priori canoes which the Slavs used to cross the river.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, research could not be conducted. Without carbon 14 dating or analysis of the geological layers, it remains impossible to specify the age of these wrecks.
Likewise, archaeologists remain unable to explain how these three boats sank together. Did they fight? Have they been abandoned? However, no traces of combat were identified on the wrecks. And no object was found that would have favored one hypothesis more than another. Pending the resumption of research, the three wrecks have been transferred to the neighboring archaeological site.
FThere is no further solution for the migrants on the German rescue ship “Alan Kurdi” northeast of the Sicilian capital Palermo or on the Spanish ship “Aita Mari” south of Lampedusa. On the “Alan Kurdi” the situation has worsened. As the Regensburg NGO Sea-Eye reported on Thursday, a 24-year-old man attempted suicide on Wednesday night. Another man continued to inflict injuries. The doctor on board therefore asked the Italian coast guard for help. In the early Wednesday evening, three particularly vulnerable people were brought ashore by the Italian coast guard.
Political correspondent for Italy, the Vatican, Albania and Malta based in Rome.
The 146 remaining boat refugees who had been rescued off the Libyan coast have been on board the “Alan Kurdi” since April 6. Meanwhile, the Italian Ministry of Transport announced on Thursday that the migrants on the “Alan Kurdi”, as announced on Friday, would be taken to the “GNV Azzurra” ferry, where they were to be quarantined for 14 days. The ship has around 500 cabins and was in the port of Bari in the southern Italian region of Puglia on Thursday.
People on board “totally desperate”
According to Jan Ribbeck, head of operations at Sea-Eye, the handover of the three men was difficult and took two hours. It was difficult to prevent several migrants from jumping from the “Alan Kurdi” and swimming to one of the three patrol boats of the Italian coast guard. The people on the rescue ship are “totally desperate” because they have been held on the “Alan Kurdi” for ten days, said Ribbeck. Because Malta and Italy have declared their ports to be “unsafe” for the disembarkation of rescued migrants from private ships, three dozen migrants must also remain on the “Aita Mari”.
The ship of the Spanish aid organization Salvamento Marítimo Humanitario received a total of 43 people from a sinking rubber dinghy off the coast of Malta on Monday. For health reasons, the Italian coast guard has now brought a family of three and four men from the ship to the island of Lampedusa. The “Aita Mari” was ahead of Lampedusa on Thursday.
Migrants brought back to Libya
Meanwhile, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) announced that several bodies were recovered in Maltese waters on Wednesday. The five dead were found on a boat with 49 migrants, seven people were missing, said an IOM spokesman. A merchant ship took up the people and the corpses and they were then handed over to the Libyan coast guard.
The German embassy in Rome said it was optimistic that a solution for the migrants could soon be found on the crowded “Alan Kurdi”. One is in constant contact with the Italian government and also with the crew of the ship. The rescue ship, which sails under the German flag, was north of Palermo on Thursday. It is unclear what should happen to the migrants after the quarantine period. The German embassy in Rome was confident that the migrants could be distributed to different EU states, similar to the distribution key agreed at the meeting of interior ministers from Germany, France and other EU states in Malta at the end of September.
EAccording to the American military, lf boats of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards have repeatedly approached “dangerous” and “provocative” warships from the United States. The American military’s fifth fleet, which was based in Bahrain, said on Wednesday evening that they had approached the six American ships in the north of the Persian Gulf at high speed, some of them to within ten meters.
Some of the Iranian ships would have come close to the American boat “Maui” up to about nine meters. The Americans had issued several warnings via radio, ship sirens and acoustic long-range markers. The Iranian ships continued after about an hour, the statement said. The incident was not mentioned in the Iranian media.
With their provocative behavior, they had violated shipping safety regulations and international law, the American armed forces said. The incident occurred in international waters during an exercise in which Apache attack helicopters were also involved. The United States has classified Iran’s Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization.
Tensions between Iran and the United States increased earlier this year after the United States killed Kassem Soleimani, the commander of the Al Kuds brigades, in a drone attack in Iraq.
There is still no port for the “Alan Kurdi”. The ship of the Regensburg non-governmental organization Sea-Eye, which rescued 150 migrants from distress on Monday, was on its way to Sicily on Saturday evening to seek weather protection in the northwest of the island. In the morning, the ship received an urgently needed food delivery from Italy. Nevertheless, the situation on board continues to deteriorate, the operations management warns. There were more people on the ship than ever before. A call on board.
Editor in the Society department at FAZ.NET
Caterina, you are on board the rescue ship “Alan Kurdi” as a doctor. How do you experience the current situation?
It is very tight on board. People have little space and only one blanket per person. It is cold at night, they have to sleep on deck. You cannot change your clothes. We were able to enable them to wash their things once and organized a shower for them on Saturday. But compared to what many of us have, it’s the bare minimum. We have been telling them every day since Monday that we do not know where to go or how long it will take. They struggle to understand this, but the frustration is growing.
One person had to be brought on board to receive medical care on land. How do you currently assess the situation from a medical perspective?
Fortunately, we don’t have to take care of small children. But many people are weak, they were in Libyan camps. Some of them have traces of torture: scars, burns. A person has broken fingers that are not properly healed. Some have chronic diseases like diabetes. Many are in pain because they sleep on the floor. Fortunately, there is currently nothing acute, and only a few are seasick due to the calm weather. But that can change quickly. The fact that a sick person has already been brought ashore is a major psychological challenge for anyone who has had to stay on board.
Italy and Malta do not want to have the “Alan Kurdi” moored because of the corona crisis. Do you fear an outbreak of the virus on board?
So far, no one has shown any signs of the virus. On the first day we examined all people and an infection was ruled out for all of them. Nothing has changed in the past few days. This makes me optimistic that there is no case among those saved. The crew has been together for three weeks now, nobody had symptoms. But we would be prepared for emergencies: we could isolate the person and have protective clothing.
You have already received a delivery of groceries from Italy. How is it in the on-board hospital? Do you still have enough medication?
There is still no bottleneck. If the weather got worse, the situation could quickly change. If even half of the 149 people on board get seasick, we have a big problem. We need a safe haven.
How is the crew doing?
We are 17 people and work around the clock: cooking, distributing, cleaning. On some nights I only slept for three hours. The crew is very competent and we trust each other, which gives me strength. But we are exhausted and tired.
How long can you keep going?
I hope that a solution will be found quickly. We have to go ashore as soon as possible. But because of the holidays and the Corona crisis, I’m worried that it could still take a while. I am Italian, I know what the crisis means for Italy. But that’s why the suffering of the refugees does not end, they still need our help.
The Government of Germany has asked this Friday for a“coordinated support” to the European Commission in the face of the emergency situation facing the ship ‘Alan Kurdi’, of the non-governmental organization Sea Eye, which has about150 migrants on board.
A government spokesperson has indicated to the DPA news agency that the main problem iswhere can migrants and refugees disembarkfrom Libya now that countries like Italy and Malta have announced the closure of their ports due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The ‘Alan Kurdi’, who rescued more than a hundred migrants off the Libyan coast, is on Friday in front of the Italian island of Sicily waiting forachieve a safe port to dock.
The organization’s spokesman, Gorden Isler, has explained that, previously,the Italian Coast Guard had had to evacuate a young man from the ship“for psychological and health reasons”.
Sea-Eye reported Thursday that the ship’s captain, Bärbel Beuse, asked Italian rescue authorities for food,medicines and fuel for the boat. According to the NGO, food suppliesthey have not arrivedto the ship, where the migrants hardly have room to sleep.
The Ministry of the Interior has stressed that the Government isanalyzing the possibility of temporarily landing in alternative placesand that, for this, it is in contact with several European partners. However, the Italian Government considers this to be the exclusive responsibility and obligation of Germany, which, for its part, has said that it is ready to make a “constructive contribution”.
The ‘Alan Kurdi’ is theonly private ship currently operating off the coast of Libya. Italy has received fewer migrants since it imposed confinement because of the coronavirus. However, dozens of migrants arrived in the country during the month of March. The Interior Ministry has highlighted that all of them have undergone tests for Covid-19 before being subjected to a two-week quarantine.