Guanajuato, Gto. October 7, 2020.- Juan Silva Pérez managed to reduce almost 40 kilos of weight in approximately one year of treatment at the Guanajuato Ministry of Health.
Grateful for the service received, Juan shared his experience and the great satisfaction of this achievement.
A native of the municipality of Cortazar, he began his comprehensive medical care at the CAISES Cortazar where he was referred to the Specialized Medical Unit (UNEME) of Celaya for Chronic Diseases and treatment and follow-up began in September 2019.
Juan refers that previously he felt disabled due to having limited mobility due to his physical condition, since in addition to being morbidly obese, he had an inflammatory process that caused blood clots to form that cause obstructions in the veins of his leg and right foot, in addition to diseases like hypertension and diabetes.
Upon being received as a patient at the UNEME EC in Celaya, he already had a weight loss of approximately five kilos during his care at CAISES Cortazar, however, Juan had not achieved a constant adherence to his treatment or diet.
The multidisciplinary team that received Juan, made up of doctors, nutritionists, psychologists and nurses, was the central point to change his attitude and achieve real changes in his life.
Thanks to the patient’s interest in improving his health and the care provided, in a year of treatment Juan has managed to lose 34.5 kilos. What has allowed him to return to his working life and have a better quality of life.
He recognizes that there is still a long way to go, however, he is very clear about the goal and appreciates the service provided so far, which has been free from the beginning and what is planned in the not too distant future for the intervention surgery on his leg.
The 3 UNEMEs in Guanajuato are defined as outpatient care units, which offer specialty and highly specialized services in non-hospitalized settings.
Their objective is to have an institutional care model to attend to people with conditions of overweight, cardiovascular risk and diabetes mellitus, providing them with a comprehensive, interdisciplinary management, based on scientific evidence, best clinical practices and patient expectations.
The specific objectives of the UNEMEs refer to:
– Foster a culture for health among the population that encourages changes in healthy attitudes to reduce risk factors for chronic diseases.
– Carry out and ensure actions to increase the timely detection of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, overweight and obesity in service users and in the population classified at risk.
– Combat and comprehensively control chronic diseases, through the promotion of healthy behaviors and control of specific risks.
– Promote actions that reduce the incidence of chronic non-communicable diseases, to help slow down mortality.
– Carry out the monitoring and control of patients detected with cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, overweight and obesity in order to lead them to a healthy life.
The Services that will be provided in the Chronic Disease Medical Specialties Units are:
– Detection and control of overweight, cardiovascular risk and diabetes mellitus.
– Nutrition counseling
– Attention to eating disorders
– Actions in schools: diagnosis and treatment of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents.
– Comprehensive treatment of overweight, cardiovascular risk and diabetes mellitus
– Prevention and treatment of some complications and sequelae of diabetes mellitus, arterial hypertension and dyslipidemia.